We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with gear for jackson trip

cincinnati
14 posts
Save Topic
Help with gear for jackson trip

My wife and I are going to jackson in mid april and we are buing some outerwear for winter and our trip. We will be going on some day hikes <4mi(so no longer than 5hrs)but we will be staying in jackson at night. I am tring to figure out what outerwear to get. We alredy have some decent fleece jackets(mtn hardware and cloudveil), but we are looking into shells/down/wind fleece. We will either buy a shell to go over our current fleece or buy wind fleece and down jackets. I dont know what route to go as I am not sure what temp the mountains are that time of year. Also any other info on jackson would be great. We are staying at inn on the creek and renting a car to go to yellowstone and the tetons.

Brentwood, TN
4 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with gear for jackson trip

Layer, layer, layer---be prepared for ANY kind of weather including snow. It could be sunny and 50 or snowing and 30. Some hikes may not be fully accessible as there could be snow/ice preventing you from going far unless you have proper gear.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with gear for jackson trip

Well I am not sure how far in to the park you can get to this time of the year. I think you can get to say Jackson Lake lodge but I don't think you can go all the way to Yellowstone. You would have to go the long way around to West Yellowstone and probably only as far as Old Faithful lodge or the main lodging area. Depends on how much snow they have gotten.

Have to agree with the layering. Better to be too hot than too cold. Also make sure to get toe and hand warmers and heated socks if needed.

The best info would be to call the parks up there about 2-3 weeks before you go and get a good check up on the weather. Perhapse they have an updated web page with info on the roads for you.

Hope this helps.