We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whitewater Rafting/Chuckwagon Style Dinners

Which Jackson hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Mokena, IL
14 posts
Save Topic
Whitewater Rafting/Chuckwagon Style Dinners

We will be in Jackson for 3 nights, and am wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a good 1/2 day whitewater rafting trip and a good Chuckwagon Style dinner.

Also, is 3 nights too much in Jackson Hole/Grand Tetons after 4 nights in Yellowstone? We've been debating about 2 or 3 nights there. We will then go onto 3 nights in Estes Park, CO.

Any advice??? Thanks for the anticipated replies.

Mokena, IL
14 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Whitewater Rafting/Chuckwagon Style Dinners

We are staying at colter Bay Village in GTNP...fyi

Paducah, Kentucky
Level Contributor
126 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Whitewater Rafting/Chuckwagon Style Dinners

We have used Castagno outfitters for horseback riding and their Chuckwagon Dinner.Really nice people with excellent horses(I own my own) and a delicious chuckwagon dinner in a beautiful setting. Allow at least 40 minutes to get to their beautiful locatioon along the Buffalo River near Moran..

For whitewater rafting I suggest you use Dave Hansen whitewater rafting compay. They do float trips and whitewater and they are very good.

Jackson, Wyoming
Level Contributor
205 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Whitewater Rafting/Chuckwagon Style Dinners

There a few choices for "chuckwagon dinners" In no particular order, Dornan's in Moose, Castagno outfitters, Bar-J and Bar-T-5. Like all business they serve different needs Dornan's is an all you can eat buffet place, that is open for lunch and dinner in the summer you don't need reservations, you can walk up and pay and eat wherever you find a spot, at a picnic table with fab views of the Tetons or inside a tipi. Castagno is the closest to Yellowstone Park, and about 45 minutes from Jackson Hole. I don't have personal experience with them, so I refer to the above post. Bar-J is located on the Teton Village road and is a huge pavillion chuck wagon, known primarily for the entertainment, the Bar-J wranglers, who are "singing cowboys". You need reservations and they do fill up. Bar-T-5 is located up Cache Creek in Jackson. This is the place for families with kids. You ride in a covered wagon to the dinner site and Indians attack the wagon train on the way to dinner. You also need reservations and they fill up. I don't think any of the chuckwagons is known for having great food, but they are a fun evening.

Definitely go whitewater rafting out of Jackson Hole. There is no whitewater in Grand Teton or Yellowstone parks. The river south of Jackson is a great half day trip. We hosted a family reunion last month and all the relatives rafted with Lewis & Clark River Expedtions. We have used them a few times and they are a first rate operation. The water was higher than normal so the little kids did a scenic float with the older folks. Lot's of Bald Eagles, a beaver colony, and great views. The whitewater rafters had the time of their life the river was huge and lots of fun. They were impressed with the safety efforts at the higher water levels. The guides were VERY professional. The people that own the company have young kids so we felt comfortable that they knew what was appropriate for different age levels to raft. We had to raft in their Classic rafts which are bigger due to the water levels, but have rafted the small boats before and they are the most exciting raft trip.

Your intinerary sounds pretty good. Three nights will fly by with all there is to do in the Jackson area. The rodeo is on Sat and Wed nights it great fun. Museums, plays, hiking, horseback riding, hot air balloons, alpine slide, aerial tram, scenic chair lift no end to the activities, not to mention all the great restaurants. Have fun!

4. Re: Whitewater Rafting/Chuckwagon Style Dinners

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:20 pm, October 05, 2009