We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which lake to canoe or kayak?

florida
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
Which lake to canoe or kayak?

We are leaving on our vacation in just a few days. Yeah!!! We are starting our vacation in Yellowstone and then ending in Jackson. While we are in Jackson we would like to go canoeing or kayaking one day. Does anyone have any suggestions on where we should rent a canoe or kayak. I thought I read somewhere that certain lakes were better than others to explore for the novist canoer. And also some were very restricted on how far you could go. We might decide to rent a small boat with motor instead. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

alabama
Level Contributor
371 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Which lake to canoe or kayak?

one option is to rent a canoe from dornans (www.dornans.com) & canoe down the smooth water part of the snake river. you would put in just below jackson lake dam & take out at pacific creek. you get to go thru oxbow bend & see some wonderful areas you can't see from the road. it's around 5 miles & probably takes a couple of hours. we are thinking of doing the same. you can also rent the canoe/kayak & go to jenny or jackson lake.

florida
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Which lake to canoe or kayak?

Ptguard: Sounds great. Only thing do we have to load the canoe ourselves on our vehicle to put it in and out of the water? Or, do they help with this?

alabama
Level Contributor
371 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Which lake to canoe or kayak?

they will provide everything you need to load it on the top of your vehicle or you can rent a trailor to pull it behind your car. these canoes are not very heavy & two people can easily load them.

if you want to rent a boat, you can rent just about any size up at colter bay.

santa cruz
Level Contributor
111 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Which lake to canoe or kayak?

ptquard I am leaving for the Grand Tetons tomorrow night and we would like to kayak the snake like you've suggested because we are taking our own kayak.

So my question is, how do we get back to our car to the put in spot from the take out spot. Can we call a taxi or pay for a pick up or are we on our own?

How do people do it?

Thanks so much!

Laurie

alabama
Level Contributor
371 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Which lake to canoe or kayak?

sorry for the late response. i'm in the park now. i was planning on doing the canoe trip too & just planned on hitchhiking back to my car. never had trouble getting a ride in the past.

6. Re: Which lake to canoe or kayak?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:35 am, October 05, 2009