We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just Got Back from Jackson!

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,867 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Just Got Back from Jackson!

Wanted to thank everyone for all the advice in our pre-trip planning. We really had a nice five day trip using Jackson as our base while visiting both national parks. One highlight was viewing a mother bear and THREE cubs while going through Grand Teton- that encounter had a mob pulled over taking photos! Of course we also viewed countless bison and a coyote- we were a bit surprised that we never spotted a single moose or elk- on our last trip many years ago they were everywhere- luck of the draw I guess! We were hoping to see a moose eating on our hike around Jenny Lake , but nothing

to be seen at the pond!

We stayed at Days Inn and were very pleased with the room and the breakfast- there was abit of a mix up at the end with the bill- and we are still waiting to see what is posted to our charge card before we post our review- it was corrected at the desk , but left us a bit suspect ...

Like a recent poster , we were surprised by the large number of Eastern European employees- seasonal I guess and all quite fluent in English-but we heard the accent everywhere we went- our cashier at Albertson's told us he was from Poland. We also agreed with that poster about teh high cost of restaurant food- and we are from a tourist area ourselves. We also founds most eating places very crowded and parking pretty difficult- the "Smart" bus is a great idea! Perhaps our problem is that we prefer our larger meal in the midday. We were having a tough time finding trout served at that time of day, but fortunately for us happened into the 89 Diner- certainly not a fancy place, but they had "trout and eggs" as a late breakfast item and we were able to get it served for lunch with salad instead- it was delicious ( simply grilled) and only $11.95! We also went to Sidewinders across the street from our motel and to a little "joint" on the nearby corner whose name I forget, but they had a great happy hour- but a really limited menu- mainly pseudo Mexican. We to some extent resorted to take out items from Albertsons and wine and cheese snacking in our room. The Parks were not crowded at all, so we were abit surprised the town was still so full. We had a nice morning at Teton Village and the gondola ride.- ended up with burgers at the basement snack bar at Mangy Moose.

We had inquired here about taking a balloon ride, but on further investigation decided against it when we haerd the balloons hold up to 12 and that the ride can be less than an hour for over $200 pp- probably wouldn't have happened anyway as the wind was quite light while we were theer - the parasailers on Bridger folded up and left because of lack of wind.

All in all a great trip and certainly a nice change form the summer heat of Florida and the perpetual hurricane watch!

At any rate , we saw great scenery, had perfect weather etc and found everyone friendly and helpful.

Thanks again for all the information!

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,357 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just Got Back from Jackson!

Sounds like an awesome trip! Thanks for the tip about Trout and Eggs at 89 Diner! My husband would love that!

Iowa
Level Contributor
1,124 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Just Got Back from Jackson!

Hi lulu--

I flipped over to this forum because my neice who just got married is now in Jackson for her honeymoon.. I just wanted to know a little more about the place. Was surprised to see your report here. Sounds like you had fun... a different type of trip than Vegas , huh?

Maria.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,867 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just Got Back from Jackson!

Small world Maria! ( Maria and I know each other from the Vegas Forum) Jackson is gorgeous- what a great choice for a honeymoon! Didn't see any slushy places though- but lots of excellent local beers! We really enjoyed our 5 days and especially that we never even heard the word hurricane! You'll have to let me know how your niece makes out- she was probably staying somewhere more upscale, but we were really pleased with Days Inn.

We're back to Vegas in three weeks, as I think you recall ( Maria is really better than I am at remembering my schedule). Just got our Private Arrangements newsletter from Golden Nugget and they have brought the romm rate down from $89 to $69 for all of September, so we'll be calling for an adjustment today-every little bit helps!

See you back on the Vegas Forum- unless I can convince you and Ducky to have girl's weekend in Lauderdale - wouldn't that be fun!

Trip Advisor truly is an amazing community of travelers isn't it!

Level Contributor
595 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just Got Back from Jackson!

Hey, I was thinking of staying at the Days Inn. You said you were pleased with the room. There have been a few negative posts, so can you tell me a little about the place? Thanks.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,867 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just Got Back from Jackson!

We had a very spacious room at DI (king sized bed and a full sized sofa- never checked to see if it was a sof bed- and we were pleased with everything. Granted the furniture was not the newest, but the room was absolutely spotless and the bathroom was really quite nice. A good sized mini fridge and a microwave , as well as a small coffee pot are provided.

I am surprised by the complaints about breakfast ,as we felt it was typical of the "expanded continental" most hotels serve- Ther were I think four cold sceral choices as well as instant oatmeal, two juices, coffee, tea, chocolate and hot instant cider, bagels ( plain or strawberry cream cheese), bread for toast, mini muffins and apple spice coffee cake that I can remember and two toasters to fix your breads, an asortment of jellies and peanut butter, as well as a basket of oranges, apples and bananas.

The motel itself is on the southern end of town and it is easy to miss it as it is tucked behind a restaurant , on a curve in the road, There is a really nice Albertsons and a KMart and several restaurants in the immediate area. Some people might prefer to be in the center of Jakson, but we were glad we were not as it was pretty congested, even in the "off season." Ther was an indoor poola nd hot tub, but we didn't indulge.

The desk help was courteous, although they are primarily students from Eastern Europe and speak with heavy accents- we found this at thecar rental and most restaurants as well.

Someone mentioned paying $200 for their room not long ago- we paid something like $103 (AAA rate I think) and compared to other places we looked at it was a bargain. We don't usually stay in DI- but we thought after our experience, that they appear to have higher standards now and we would try them again elsewhere. We preferred to stick with a chain in Jackson, as it appeared some of the smaller locally owned places in town might have quality control issues.

Frankly , we had none of the issues I saw in the smattering of negative reviews I looked at before responding to your post- though I certainly wouldn't have wanted to pay $200 for the room. The first few nights there was a busload of senior citizens from Kentucky - when they moved on , we saw mainly families and a few businessmen and hikers etc. The hallways were very quiet while we were there and we saw no one monopolizing the 2 computers ( free) in the lobby- though I did have to wait briefly to print out baording passes as only one was hooked to a printer.

I did make reference to a billing problem at checkout- they originally printed out an incorrect ( I think $125) amount for our weekend nights- which was corrected and reprinted when we pointed it out. We checked our credit card account when we got home to make sure the correct amount was charged to our credit card and it was- I do think it was a minor error, but I am glad we noticed it!

I hope you enjoy Jackson as much as we did!

Level Contributor
595 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just Got Back from Jackson!

Thanks for replying. I have been tossing around what to do. I have the option of the Days Inn or another hotel that is a lot higher than I like to pay. The AAA rate the weekend I am going is $125. I think that the rates go down the following weekend. Since I am not in my room that much, I don't like spending a lot of money on it, but I do want it to be clean. The photos on their website look like it's fairly nice. The breakfast would be enough for me. Days Inn is not a chain I really stay at that often either. It seems like it would be ok. The other hotel gets good reviews, so it's been a tough call as to what to do. Thanks.

Yellow Springs, OH
Level Contributor
50 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just Got Back from Jackson!

We stayed at the Ranch Inn, in the heart of downtown, for $105 on Sept. 7th for a basic room (2 queen beds). Location speaks for itself. The room was nice clean quiet, everything worked and the beds were fine. Would stay there again. The supply a continental breakfast which was OK but not spectacular.

8. Re: Just Got Back from Jackson!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:18 am, September 10, 2009