We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jackson versus Teton Village versus Grand Targhee

Which Jackson hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cincinnati
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Topic
Jackson versus Teton Village versus Grand Targhee

I've been to Jackson Hole before in the summer time. Loved it, and the Grand Tetons are awesome. Really love Jackson Hole. I organize a ski trip for 5-6 guys every year and the consensus is everyone wants to try Jackson Hole. Our favorite ski location thus far has been Whitefish Montana. We're everyday beer drinking, hard skiing, eat steak, watch football kind of guys. None of us are into fancy spas and whatnot. Hot tub, sure. Sports bar/pub with 2lb burgers and microbrews, you bet! That being said, can anyone recommend what our best option is for the Jackson Hole area. It's really handy to get a condo for 6 of us. Usually this makes things cheaper too. First glance it's crazy expensive in the Teton Village compared to the town square area. Grand Targhee looks cheaper than either of those but looks to be pretty far away from Jackson. It's nice to avoid the care rental thing since nobody wants to be the DD on our ski trips.

So whats the best call for reasonably priced place to crash, not too difficult to get to the slopes, and fun pubs in stumbling distance? Probably 4-5 nights, sometime in Feb and March. Real flexible about dates if theirs a big difference in price or snow.

Thanks for the look!

Jackson Hole, WY
Level Contributor
70 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jackson versus Teton Village versus Grand Targhee

It sounds like you might want to look into Snow King Resort. The rates will jump up on the 8th, and that will be the case for most lodging in the area, but if you can squeeze in something in early February, you will avoid crowds and get a reasonable rate. Snow King has a complimentary airport shuttle, and skier's shuttle. They are 6 blocks from Town Square, but also have a restaurant on site, and one a block away. (43 North). If you are not exhausted by the end of the day, Snow King Resort has night skiing as well. tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i4568-Jackson_H…

Jackson Hole, WY
Level Contributor
70 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jackson versus Teton Village versus Grand Targhee

Another nice thing I forgot to mention about Snow King is that they are including breakfast vouchers as an early booking incentive right now! That is always a nice bonus.

Cincinnati
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Jackson versus Teton Village versus Grand Targhee

Your right about the cheaper rates prior to the 8th. Seems I can find better rates. We're all flexible with our dates. Is there a big difference in the snow between Jan-Feb-Mar?

Jackson Hole, WY
Level Contributor
70 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jackson versus Teton Village versus Grand Targhee

Historically, the snowiest month of the year is January (http://www.mountainweather.com/mtnsnow.htm). January is also the best month to get low rates on lodging and airfare.

Otherwise, towards the end of February and in March is when you start getting the more spring like conditions.

Jackson, Wyoming
Level Contributor
103 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Jackson versus Teton Village versus Grand Targhee

Historically, the coldest weather of the year is in January. I've only been here 22 yrs, but the best time to ski here is the middle/end of February, and the first week of March.

That's why it's more expensive. Stay in town, the night life and choice of eats is better. Buses run to Teton village every half hour or so. Enjoy apres-ski at the Village and take the bus to town. Then go party close to your room. Snow King for a condo is a good call. Plenty of spots in town to catch a game and eat/drink.

Cincinnati
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Jackson versus Teton Village versus Grand Targhee

When you say best skiing in mid-Feb through first week of March, is that because the weather gets warmer or snow conditions are better? We're use to skiing in Montana, so the cold doesn't bother us much.

Thanks for the tips to hit the Storm King. Right now I'm leaning toward a "rent by owner" condo in Sleeping Indian East in Teton Village. Suppose to be 250ft walk to a ski lift so we can ski in / ski out which is always good. To land the cheaper rates we're looking at Feb 2 through Feb 7th. Price seems good at $1284 for 5 nights split by 6 guys. Just $214 a man. Think I should go for it? First week in Feb be an OK time to go?

Jackson Hole, WY
Level Contributor
70 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jackson versus Teton Village versus Grand Targhee

It sounds like you might be a little misled on the location. Sleeping Indian Condos are 250 yards from a lift, the Moose Creek Chairlift, that drops off you off next to the Union Pass Chairlift. When you get off Union Pass, you can ski to the base area. I would not call Sleeping Indian Units ski in/ski out. The base is about 3/4 mile away by road, so any dining, nightlife options are going to be not quite walking distance, especially since that road can be icy in the winter.

There are shuttles that run back and forth for the Teton Village condos, they run until about 10 pm.

In Teton Village, when the nightlife is on, it is really fun, but that is pretty much only when the Mangy Moose has a concert. Other then that, you won't really have a lot of nightlife options. After apres ski dies down, so does the Village (unless there is a show at the Mangy Moose).

I think the first week in February is a good time to come to JH to save some $$, and still be able to hope for good snow conditions. When the conditions stink in Jan and early Feb, it is because it is cold and it hasn't snowed in a while...but when they are good, it is because a lot of really light, fluffy snow has fallen in a short amount of time and there are no crowds.

Make sure to count in your per person cost the price of lift tickets and airline tickets. I am a huge fan of vrbo.com, but you'll find when you book through the owner for ski vacations you can miss out on some discounts on lift tickets and airfare.

:) Hope that helps! I'll start thinking about good snowfall for you!

Cincinnati
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Jackson versus Teton Village versus Grand Targhee

After talking to my crew their still opting for the Village over the town. I found some other options for condos ranging in price. Which ones are the most convenient for skiing and walking to the pubs/resturants in the Village? The one's that seem doable are Sleeping Indian East, Whiteridge, Rendezvous, Eagles Rest, and Gros Ventre. Seems like I can find better deals on bigger condos in the Aspens which are a few miles down the road. If I take one of the one's in the Village are they really ski-in/out? Or do you still pretty much have to take the shuttle? If theirs a moderately priced one I left out that you think is better I'm all ears.

Jackson Hole, WY
Level Contributor
70 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Jackson versus Teton Village versus Grand Targhee

4 Seasons Building I and White Ridge are the most accessible to the lifts, but I would still not call either of them ski in/ski out. Just to avoid any confusion...the 4 Seasons I building is a condo complex that has been there for 20 something years, and is not associated with the new Four Seasons Resort that is located slope side and is ski in/ski out.

The Aspens are a great deal, but definitely not convenient to much. They do have a free shuttle to Teton Village.

Bristol, England
Level Contributor
42 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Jackson versus Teton Village versus Grand Targhee

Hi, we are in Teton Village right now, staying at Hostel X. I know you wanted a condo, but this place is right in the centre of the Village next to the Mangy Moose and it's a real bargain. We are paying $385 for six nights including tax for a double room with shower. Probably more than that in January though. The room is a reasonable size, a bit basic, no closet, but pegs and a box for ski gear but plenty of hot water and the bed is really comfortable. There is a big lounge downstairs with pool tables etc and the people are really friendly. And free internet for $5 for your whole stay for wireless access if you have your laptop. Gondola and lifts are really close by too.

Hope that helps.