We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

May or September?

Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
May or September?

I'm planning a getaway for my husband and I for our 5 year anniversary. I've heard these are 2 of the best times to travel to Jackson Hole because it's less busy and cheaper. But which has better weather for activites? We want to be able to ride horses, hike and explore all of the Grand Tetons and Yellowstone. We would love to stay somewhere within walking distance to all of the good restaurants and bars as well, so any and all recommendations are appreciated!

7 replies to this topic
Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Wyoming, Jackson, Jackson Hole
Level Contributor
7,737 posts
5 reviews
1. Re: May or September?

In Jackson, May is the tail end of the winter here. We've had snow Memorial Day weekend in some past years. There's not likely to be horseback riding until early to mid-June. You'll also find snow on the trails well into June. If you came in early Sept you could horseback ride, but by mid-Sept most outfitters are busy getting ready for hunting seasons. Trail conditions are generally good throughout the month.

I'd suggest you stay in downtown Jackson or in a motel which is a short walk away. Are you looking for something upscale (for your anniversary) or cheaper?

Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
2. Re: May or September?

Thanks for your response! We are looking on the cheaper side. As long as its clean with good reviews we are willing to give it a try.

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
19,112 posts
95 reviews
3. Re: May or September?

My vote would be September. It's my favorite month to visit.

May is going to still be winter for most of us. When I was there in early June one year, the flower bed plantings were of pansies, which are more like March flowers for us in the SE.

Three places that are favorites for many of us posting here are the Ranch Inn, the Virginian and Kudar's motel and cabins for moderately priced options. The new Homewood Suites may be a bit pricier than those but they offer free breakfast and "social hour" complimentary meal on weekdays and I think some of the rooms have fireplaces.

Edited: 5:15 pm, September 20, 2018
Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Wyoming, Jackson, Jackson Hole
Level Contributor
7,737 posts
5 reviews
4. Re: May or September?

Good suggestions from Onemoreroad, although Virginian may too far away from downtown to suit you.

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
19,112 posts
95 reviews
5. Re: May or September?

True.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
24,873 posts
112 reviews
6. Re: May or September?

I'm not sure of your intent from your post but Jackson does not make a good base from which to explore Yellowstone. It's better to stay in Yellowstone or one of the gateway cities at the North or West gates to get the most out of your vacation days.

Pam

Dubois, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Lander, Dubois, Riverton
Level Contributor
485 posts
50 reviews
7. Re: May or September?

Agreed; September.

Sounds like you want some time in Jackson and some in the Parks. I’d book a few nights in town (echo the recommendation for the Kudar) and then several nights at one of the lodges in YNP.

Reply to: May or September?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted