We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What would you do?

Ohio
Level Contributor
117 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
What would you do?

Next summer my husband, 11 year old daughter and I will be spending most of a day and 1 night here in route to Yellowstone. If you had such a short amount of time, what would be the must do's? Is it worth staying 2 nights? This is all new to us so any suggestions would help. I almost forgot we will have our pop up tent camper. Any suggestions on a nice campground that's not to pricey? Thanks, Rhonda

Mentioned in this post
Newport, Oregon
Level Contributor
5 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: What would you do?

You do not want to miss the museum OR the rodeo when in Cody. Both are unforgettable.

Mentioned in this post
Cody
Cody
Wyoming
Billings, Montana
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
6,223 posts
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: What would you do?

We have stayed at the Cody KOA once and the Ponderosa Campground in Cody three times. I would take the Ponderosa over the KOA any time. IMO the only thing the KOA offered was a swimming pool. It was right next to the busy highway and there weren't very many shady spots. They did have a great pancake breakfast in the morning. It is a little ways out of town on the east end but there is a bus shuttle to and from the rodeo that is free.

The Ponderosa Campground is right on mainstreet in town - the rodeo grounds are about a mile west of it and the museum is about a mile east of it. You would think it would be noisly but its not. The campground is located in a little (for lack of a better word) valley right off the main street. There are lots of trees to buffer the noise from the street and you don't really see any vehicles driving by. The south side of the campground is the river canyon so it really doesn't feel like you're right in town. The only downside is that they do not have a swimming pool. I believe the free bus shuttle to the rodeo would also stop there if needed. If you want to stay in a campground in Cody I would highly recommend the Ponderosa. Their website is

http://www.codyponderosa.com/

Deb

Mentioned in this post
The Cody Hotel
The Cody Hotel
1,081 Reviews
Cody, WY
Ponderosa Campground
Ponderosa Campground
211 Reviews
Cody, WY
Cody
Cody
Wyoming
Billings, Montana
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
6,223 posts
1 review
Save Reply
13. Re: What would you do?

oops- I meant to say the north side of the campground is the river canyon. Main street runs on the south side of the campground.

Deb

old river ,texas
Level Contributor
4 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: What would you do?

there is a place 28 miles west of cody in the wapiti valley on us 14,16,20 called the green creek inn and rv park. i have stayed there numerous times and it doesnt get any prettier than the surroundings there. its only about 30 miles from yellowstone and about 25 miles back to cody. it does have new owners now and they have gone up on their prices tremendously,but i have never stayed there in a camper but it is very nice and clean and all the beauty you can handle. their phone # is 1-877-587-5004 2908 northfork highway

Meadview, Arizona
Level Contributor
236 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: What would you do?

First off go to the museum. It's very Kid frendly and there are interactive displays that my Kids loved.

Go to the Night Rodeo we stayed at the camp ground across the street, I don't recall the name, and we just walked to the Rdeo.

The Daily gun fights in front of the Irma Hotel are fun for all ages.

They have 4 wheel pedal bikes that you can rent for an hour. It's a funn way to see the town.

The river rafting was a blast also. The "rapids" are quite tame and we were able to see eagles, deer and a host of other wild life.

For you there's the shopping. The stores down town are great and the shop keepers are very friendy even if you don't buy from them.

Finally I'd stay 2 nights.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
89 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: What would you do?

I'd go to the Buffalo Bill centre. The gunfight is great at 6pm outside the Irma then grab a bite to eat and go to the Dan Miller Cowboy Music Review at the theatre opposite , it's a great hour or two entertainment for $12. This would mean missing rodeo, but you could always do this in west yellowstone which is near to YNP.

17. Re: What would you do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:21 am, October 15, 2009