We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place to stop on drive from Keystone- Denver + tolls

Which Cheyenne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
23 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Best place to stop on drive from Keystone- Denver + tolls

In September we will be coming across to Black hills from Yellowstone via Billings and will spend 4 days in Keystone area doing tourist attractions nearby including scenic drives, Custer, Badlands. I've thoroughly researched this area so am up on tourist attractions but would like to know 2 things

1. What would be best places to have brief stops on way from Keystone to Cheyenne to Denver. We plan to drive this in 1 day and have to return our rental to Denver International airport by 6pm.

2. How do the tolls work on route as noticed on directions it mentions toll roads (we are Australian so not sure of American tolls and this will be first point we come across them)

Any advice on this route appreciated.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
3,362 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best place to stop on drive from Keystone- Denver + tolls

When I check Google maps the toll roads that show between Keystone and DIA are E-470 in/around Denver and the entrance road to the airport. The toll road allows you to skirt Denver and avoid traffic. You can avoid it by going on into Denver and taking I-70 east to where you get off to the airport. The toll entrance road to the airport won't affect you if you are getting or returning to the car rental area. It is quite a distance from the terminal itself. IIRC as you see the toll gates you are directed to exit to the car rental area when you return.

E-470 looks like it is automated without any collection toll gates/plazas to pay tolls.

E-470 toll road authority Rental Car information

https:/…Rental-Cars.aspx

www.youtube.com/watch…

I haven't gone out of the airport since they opened the E470 toll road so I don't have direct experience. For me I would most likely avoid the toll road and take a little more time.

Edited: 9:58 am, July 26, 2013
N. Idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,054 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best place to stop on drive from Keystone- Denver + tolls

Google maps will also show *toll road* or *partial toll road* for Yellowstone, Grand Tetons and other National Parks that are not actually toll roads, but are areas that do require an entrance fee. There is a $25 fee to purchase a 7 day pass for Yellowstone/Grand Teton (they are combined). If you are going other places it might work out better to get an $80 year pass for all National Parks. This, unfortunately, does not cover the fee for parking at Mt Rushmore.

Pam

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Wyoming, Jackson, Jackson Hole
Level Contributor
6,138 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best place to stop on drive from Keystone- Denver + tolls

As to question #1: Keystone to Denver is around 7 hours of driving. Since you must arrive by 6pm, and allowing time for normal stops along the way (lunch, bathroom breaks, etc.), plus a little extra time for Denver traffic, you're not likely to have much time for sightseeing. But the drive through SD and Wyoming is pretty, so you can enjoy the scenery.

Vail, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Vail
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best place to stop on drive from Keystone- Denver + tolls

Avoid the Denver toll road at all costs, there are hefty fees added by the rental car company to your bill if you use it.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
23 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best place to stop on drive from Keystone- Denver + tolls

Thanks for the advice everyone. We are right with National Parks pass.

The rental car toll site is helpful as now know what to do with Avis and will discuss with them prior to taking car- seems they charge $2.95 per day plus tolls so will work out whether worth using tolls for that day or not.

Other than E470 and E28- one near airport -the directions I got said to take 228 to Limon outside Cheyenne which is toll also. Can we just stay on I-25 and avoid tolls on that road. I had these directions from hotel site which is near airport -From I-25 North Take I-70 East to Exit 283 (Chamber Rd.) Make a left on Chambers to 40th Ave., go right on 40th Ave. to Airport Way and make a left on Airport way -to go to hotel as will probably check in first before returning car- will that work to avoid tolls

Any suggestions for good place to stop to eat light lunch along the way?

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best place to stop on drive from Keystone- Denver + tolls

Never heard of Limon and I never experienced tollroads in the Cheyenne area either.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,362 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best place to stop on drive from Keystone- Denver + tolls

Google map route w/ no tolls

http://goo.gl/maps/9ak9J

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
23 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best place to stop on drive from Keystone- Denver + tolls

Thanks the google maps site plus hard copy of a Colorado map helped me work it all out now to avoid the tolls.

9. Re: Best place to stop on drive from Keystone- Denver + tolls

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:15 pm, August 19, 2014