We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Microtel Inn and Suites?

Which Cheyenne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
695 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Microtel Inn and Suites?

Can anyone tell me if this hotel is convenient to downtown for Frontier days?

Everett, Washington
Level Contributor
2,381 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Microtel Inn and Suites?

It is about two miles south of Frontier Park. There really isn't a direct or convenient non-freeway route due to the way the streets angle so realisticly about 2.5 miles (Lincolnway to Carey then NW to Frontier Park. To downtown about 2/3 mile. The Microtel is off US-30 a littleways from Missile Drive. Sort of close to rail yard which may be a noise issue. We ate at the Village Inn about a mile from there once and noticed the train traffic. Probably walkable to downtown. The Green bus route passes right by the Microtel and eventually goes up Carey to Frontier Park area.

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
695 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Microtel Inn and Suites?

Would The Holiday Inn Express or Days Inn be any more convenient for getting to downtown or the frontier park?

Everett, Washington
Level Contributor
2,381 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Microtel Inn and Suites?

Neither of those would be much different location wise. Days Inn would be very close to train tracks. HI Express farther away by a few blocks, across from Home Depot (hardware & lumber store). All these are in the cluster of hotels & motels off US-30 near the I-25/I-80 Interchange. All are served by the Green bus route. There are a number of hotels near the downtown core (probably some quite a bit older) and another bunch near the airport and Frontier Mall. For absolute closeness to Frontier Park the Rodeway Inn is 3/4 mile but directly in the flight path of the end of the airport runway. But also the opposite direction from downtown.

Really though Cheyenne is not that large that anything is actually very inconvenient. Accomodations nearest downtown are: Pioneer Hotel, The Plains Hotel, Suite1901, Central Plaza Hotel and Nagle Warren Mansion B&B. I have no experience with any of these.

If I had a preference for any mentioned place it would probably be the Holiday Inn Express. A reliable chain and they now feature hot breakfast. Location would not be too bad and bus service to downtown and Frontier Park helps.

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
695 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Microtel Inn and Suites?

Thank you for your reply,I had a look on Cheyenne.org and to my surprise it appears that the Springfield suites,comfort suites,Hampton Inn and Little America still have a few rooms available, would any of these be a better choice?

Sorry for being a pain and asking so many questions but when you are being charged such high rates its nice to get it right.

Wyoming & Sanibel
Level Contributor
1,344 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Microtel Inn and Suites?

Holiday Inn, Springfield Suites and Little America are all solid choices and avoid the train tracks. The Holiday Inn Express is in the same area as the train tracks, as is the Comfort Inn. The Hampton Inn is in that same area, but the farthest away from the train tracks of all the hotels in that area.

And please avoid the Pioneer Hotel and Central Plaza Hotel. Both rent weekly and are not what you are looking for. The Plains Hotel is a historic hotel in the center of downtown and very nice, but you will hear the trains at night. Nagle Warren is a cattlebaron's mansion and is very nice and just a block or two from downtown. Cheyenne is quite small, a population of only about 75,000, so nothing is far and the rodeo grounds are centrally located but a couple of miles from downtown. You will want to plan on using your vehicle as what little public transportation there is, involves small buses, long routes and shuts down at 6pm daily. There are convenient & free buses that run from large parking lots to the rodeo grounds and back, and I highly recommend that as opposed to trying to park on the street in the neighborhood to the south of the grounds.

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
695 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Microtel Inn and Suites?

Do the park and ride buses stop in downtown on route to the rodeo,we dont want to miss the pancake breakfast and it sounds like both the Marriott and Hampton are too far to walk?

Wyoming & Sanibel
Level Contributor
1,344 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Microtel Inn and Suites?

Actually you will have plenty of time for the pancake breakfast -- it starts at 7am and you must be in line by 9am to be fed. The line will appear tremendously long, particularly if you arrive from 8-9, but it moves very, very quickly and is a lot of fun. You will be done by no later than 10 and likely earlier, even if you sit and watch the free entertainment for a while.

ALL of the hotels are too far to walk except for the Plains and Warren Nagel Mansion. Parking downtown for the pancake breakfast will be the most difficult -- best best is to try the city parking structure on 16th street between Pioneer & Carey, there is a second city parking structure to the North on Pioneer about 4 blocks (but Pioneer is a one-way street going the wrong way for you, so drive north on Carey and turn left on the street on the north side of the County Building and you will see the Civic Center Parking Lot straight ahead).

No the parki and ride buses do not run from downtown. Park-n-Ride is $10 per carload and includes gate admission! The service is located just off Interstate 25 and Happy Jack Road (Wyoming 210) south of Frontier Park. Northbound on I-25, take exit 10B and southbound on I-25, take exit 10D. A quick five minute bus ride takes you directly to the celebration!

Park n Ride Shuttle Hours

July 23: 12 p.m. - 12:30 a.m.

July 24 - 31: 10:30 a.m. - 12:30 a.m.

August 1: 10:30 a.m. - 6 p.m.

There is also a limited amount of parking at the rodeo grounds and the cost is also $10 a vehicle.

The Indian Village opens at 10am, but Wild Horse Gulch and the Rodeo grounds & carnival area do not open until 11am. Downtown is but a 10 minute ride to either the park n ride lot or the rodeo grounds.

This is the map of the Cheyenne Transit System -- the stop closest to the rodeo grounds and actually right outside the Indian Village is the green line 4600 Carey Stop. If you were downtown you would get on at the transfer station which is on the north side of the City :Parking Lot on 16th I mentioned above & it would take you half an hour to get to the rodeo grounds, assuming there was room on the bus. That bus line only runs once an hour: www.cheyennecity.org/DocumentView.aspx…

Let me know if you have more questions. Frontier Days is a terrific family event and there iks a lot of free entertainment and activities.

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
695 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Microtel Inn and Suites?

Thanks for your help, I had a look at the green line bus route and it has a stop at little America and The Hampton Inn, which might be useful for getting to the pancake breakfast,parking downtown sounds like a bit of an ordeal.The Springfield seems to be on another line which would suggest changing buses,too much hassle!.

9. Re: Microtel Inn and Suites?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:22 am, October 21, 2010