We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yellowstone ?

new jersey
Level Contributor
85 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Yellowstone ?

Is Cheyenne the airport to fly into if visiting Yellowstone? Yellowstone seems so massive that I dont even know where to begin. any recomendations for a couple in their early 30s trveling to yellowstone (without children) for the first time?

Anchorage, Alaska
Level Contributor
283 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Yellowstone ?

Hi Kellyjojo,

I wouldn't suggest that you fly into Cheyenne (only 2hours from Denver)as my first choice. I would consider the following alternitives first:

Denver - 8 hour drive to YNP

Salt Lake City - 5 hour drive (possible? high car rental cost)

Idaho Falls - 2 hour drive to either YNP or Grand Teton NP

Jackson - 1 hour drive to YNP & 1/2 hour to GTNP

Bozeman - 2 1/2 hour drive to YNP, but 7 hours to GTNP

Billings - 3 hour drive (over beautiful Beartooth Pass), 7 hours to GTNP

I would consider any of these long before going into Cheyenne. The smaller regional airports might be a bit more expensive but you need to decide how long you want to drive once you land to get there. Also consider whether you want to incorporate a visit to Grand Teton (it's so close to YNP) and any other area activities while you are here such as white water rafting or horseback riding. Remember to compare car rental costs in addition to the airfare and check with the offsite offices as they can often be less expensive.

The roads in and around Yellowstone are all in pretty good shape so getting around should be little problem other than construction work.

Are you camping or staying in hotels? If you require lodging in the park I strongly recommend you make reservations asap as they might difficult to come by this late in the year. If camping, let me know what you are looking for in a campground and I can give you an idea about the different site around the park.

Let us know if you have anymore questions,

- Kery

Wyoming & Sanibel
Level Contributor
1,344 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yellowstone ?

Kelly, There is an excellent Yellowstone National Park Forum on this site you should start with. Also, accomodations in the park are getting very booked up for this summer, so if you are interested you need to get hopping on your plans. If instead you are looking at shoulder months, May or Sept. you will have a little more availability of rooms.

new jersey
Level Contributor
85 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yellowstone ?

Thank you both for the promt and informative suggestions. honestly, i am planning on "pitching" the YNP idea to my husband tonight - we both want to visit. I figured that this is incredibly late to be researching a trip, but I wanted to see what I could find out. Is July and August "prime" season for Yellowstone? My last question....would either of you suggest staying inside or outside the park. I will check out the Yellowstone forum next. Thanks!!!

Anchorage, Alaska
Level Contributor
283 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Yellowstone ?

It's my pleasure to share my experiences.

As far as prime season, I would say that it begins in late June and goes until late Auugust, but that doesn't mean you wouldn't have a great time. First off if you can stay in the park it will give you more flexability and less driving as you can move your base around throughout your stay and never leave the park if you don't want to.

If you are not interested in camping which would be easiest to get reservations and allow easy relocation around the park, then getting lodging inside must become you number one priority and you might need to check regularly with Yellowstone Reservations until you secure your nights.

I personally have only spent 5 night in any park lodgings over the last 20 years, though I love to camp. I spend about 30 nights or so each year camping throughout the park and it has always been a pleasent experience. It is a very safe and relaxing way to spend your nights, the night sky is incredible (you can see the Milky Way just looking up) and spending your evenings at the ranger programs followed by roasting marshmellows is great couples time. Additionally the cost savings can be significant ($150/night vs. $15/night). Several of the campgrounds offer shower and laundry serives as well as great locations in the park. Generally the weather is pretty good and only occational afternoon thrunder storms cause any rain.

If you are interested in camping options, let me know and I can point out some beautiful and quiet places for you.

- Kery

Catlin, Illinois
Level Contributor
838 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Yellowstone ?

Hi kellyjojo,

It is late to look for lodging in Yellowstone. All of the lodging in Yellowstone is ran by Xanterra. Here is a link to thier web site: http://www.travelyellowstone.com/

If nothing is avaible, call 866-439-7375. There are always cancelations and other members have been able to book rooms.

More information about Yellowstone at: tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g60999-Yellowstone_N…

And: http://www.nps.gov/yell/

The members of the Yellowstone forum will be able to help you and answer your questions.

Yellowstone is a special place to visit. Enjoy your trip!

new jersey
Level Contributor
85 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Yellowstone ?

Thanks girls...I will follow up with both suggestions. I use to camp back in the day when I was a girl scout, and it was wonderful. My only hold up on camping is that I have seen one to many horror movies (I know, rediculous) and I am afraid a wild bear will rip my head off (stop laughing). Honestly, I am a chicken, but should probably look into getting over that since I am missing out on the beauty of camping - sleeping outdoors. Thanks again.

7. Re: Yellowstone ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:20 am, September 20, 2009