We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Motel(s) on I-80 west/Lyman?

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
212 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Motel(s) on I-80 west/Lyman?

I'm looking for a clean and comfortable night's lodging in the vicinity of I-80 and Lyman. I've found a Gateway Inn, and I liked the way their website is written, but TA has had no feedback on this motel. Any comments?

We're coming north/northwest from Vernal up to Jackson (next night; already reserved) and want to stop at Fossil Butte NM. That's what is dictating our route. Thought we would take the left/west road around the bottom of Flaming Gorge Rec area and then Utah 43/Wyoming 414 into the I-80/Lyman area for an overnight stop, then US 189 north. Any comments on those routes? Things we should stop and see? Dangers?

Thanks.

Wyoming & Sanibel
Level Contributor
1,344 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Motel(s) on I-80 west/Lyman?

Sorry, Cheyenne is about 5 hours from there and I've never stayed in Lyman. You will find many more choices in Green River if you want to head up that way, instead.

You might try posting your request for info in the Rock Springs WY forum -- not a lot of activity in their forum, but someone who lives in the area is a better bet for an answer.

Lyman is a small town. Don't know if you checked out the dining options, but this is from the Gateway's website -- I couldn't find any other listing of restaurants in Lyman:

The Branding Iron Family Restaurant

Taco Time

Bon Rico Supper Club

TJ's Pizza

Near Lyman: Cowboy Inn Cafe

Mountain View:

Sill's Cafe

Pizza Hut

Mountain View Drive-In

The Pony Express

Good luck with the trip planning!

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,919 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Motel(s) on I-80 west/Lyman?

Not much to see except maybe some antelope/pronghorn variety. Cows on the road might be your only danger.

I have friends in Lyman, but sorry I can't give any information about the hotel. I can ask but wouldn't have any info for about a week. The Little America is just 20 miles down I-80 east at the second next exit. It is nice, busy and conveniently off the freeway, though obviously a little off your intended path.

Because there isn't really much to see at the monument enhance your visit by stopping in Kemmerer for the rock shops before heading out to Fossil Buttes and at Ulrichs Fossil Gallery.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,919 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Motel(s) on I-80 west/Lyman?

When I asked my friends about the hotel in Lyman they gave me a dirty face and said it was nasty, and they would never stay there again. Take it for what it's worth.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
212 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Motel(s) on I-80 west/Lyman?

Do you know if they were talking about Little America or Gateway Inn?

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,919 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Motel(s) on I-80 west/Lyman?

That would be the hotel in Lyman, though I did not confirm the name, it was apparent it was the only thing available there.

This was not the Little America (which I can vouch for as a nice place).

6. Re: Motel(s) on I-80 west/Lyman?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 pm, September 19, 2009