We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to See and Do in Cheyenne

Which Cheyenne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Orlando, FL
Level Contributor
79 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Things to See and Do in Cheyenne

I will be is Cheyenne over the Memorial Day weekend. Is there any thing that I must see or do? I will also take suggestions on places to eat as well. Thanks!

Rock Springs, WY
Level Contributor
181 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things to See and Do in Cheyenne

Cheyenne is the capitol city. Cheyenne is growing quickly, as the suburban blob of CO's Front Range reaches further north. Cheyenne is the state's 2nd largest city, with Casper being #1. In Cheyenne, I recommend visiting the State Museum: it's informative, attractive, interesting, doesn't take long, and has a nice little gift shop. I also recommend visiting the train station. They've done some great renovations there, restoring it to what it looked like in the '20s. For a few bucks, you can go through the accompanying museum, which focsues on railroads, so important to the development and settlement of S. WY. Across from the depot square, check out the lobby of the historic, restored Plains Hotel. Maybe have a drink in the bar. The restaurant is OK there. In Cheyenne, there are many places to eat---maybe avoid the chain restaurants and try something local, choosing from the nice Chamber of Commerce guidebook available just about everywhere. See if the Cheyenne Symphony is having any events. Go see the Big Boy steam engine in the park: it's the biggest steam engine, I think, in the universe. West of Cheyenne, closer to Laramie, is the Vedavuu area: cool rocks, nice trails, interesting country. Get off the interstate for that exit and take a walk. It's 45 miles from Cheyenne to Laramie. If you go to Laramie, eat at Jeffrey's Bistro. In Cheyenne, check out the state capitol---nice building and a couple statues to look at. I like Cheyenne very much, but there's really not much to see there, in my opinion, beyond the aforementioned sites.

Cheyenne, WY
Level Contributor
48 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Things to See and Do in Cheyenne

A favorite little diner among locals is the Luxury Diner, located along West Lincolnway Drive. Located in an old railroad car, it has tons of local color and really great food. The Capitol Grille in the Plains Hotel is a nice option, as is Poor Richard's.

In addition to the State Capitol, Wyoming State Museum, and Depot, you might consider visiting the Cheyenne Frontier Days Old West Museum. This museum celebrates Frontier Days, Cheyenne's big rodeo that has been happening for over 100 years. Across the road from the Old West Museum is the Cheyenne Botanic Gardens and Lion's Park -- a nice place for an evening stroll around the lake or among the flowers.

Another fun option might be the Terry Bison Ranch just south of town. You can tour their large bison herd on a little train or go horseback riding for an hour or two (no full day ride necessary).

Trolley tours of town are available both Saturday (twice) and Sunday (once). These give a good overview of the town's history and point out many attractions. You can also see a full list of attractions and other restaurant listings at www.cheyenne.org.

Enjoy your trip.

Cheyenne, Wyoming
Level Contributor
145 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Things to See and Do in Cheyenne

This site (Trip Advisor) is CHOCK FULL of things to do and see in Cheyenne as well as places to eat and places to shop. Antelope are out - as are the buffalo. Enjoy your stay! :)

Pittsburgh, PA...
Level Contributor
262 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Things to See and Do in Cheyenne

I second the State Museum recommendation.

Also, go to the Cheyenne Botanic Gardens, if you enjoy that kind of thing. They have a very nice variety of gardens and I imagine that there will be plenty of wildflowers starting to bloom.

Our favorite restaurant was the Cheyenne Smokehouse and BBQ. Bargain priced and delicious food. It has the feel of a local pizza joint - nothing fancy - but the food is great.

Cheyenne, Wyoming
Level Contributor
145 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Things to See and Do in Cheyenne

Go have a combo breakfast burrito at the Diamond Horseshoe. It's on Central on the south side of the viaduct. See the depot. visit the Old West Museum. Go into the Plains hotel and see the stained glass skylight. Check out old photos at the Best Western on W. Lincolnway. Head out to T-Joes (East on 30) for a steak.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
687 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Things to See and Do in Cheyenne

I loved Poor Richards when we were there 10 years ago... I'm so glad it is still at the top of the TA reviews! That's where I'd eat...

7. Re: Things to See and Do in Cheyenne

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, September 02, 2009