We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gay bars in the Dells

Which Wisconsin Dells hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Madison WI
Level Contributor
998 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Gay bars in the Dells

I will be travelling with my boyfriend, kids and my bf's gay brother.

Will be in the Dells a few days. Is there anyplace that gays congregate ?. Doesn't have to be bar. But I just want him to feel comfortable somewhere

3rd Chaise to the...
Level Contributor
1,490 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gay bars in the Dells

The only gay establishment in the Dells is Captain Dix which is on RIver Road between the Dells and Chula Vista. (If you are a Dells oldie, it's the former Artists Glenn area) There's a bar and restaurant and cabins, I think. Not sure if they are open all year.

The Dells is pretty conservative and family-oriented, but I've never seen any anti-gay type behavior at the "tourist" bars. I'd recommend Pedro's, Marley's and Kahunaville at the Kalahari.

Rotonda West...
Level Contributor
544 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gay bars in the Dells

When we were there 2 weeks ago there was a family in front of Nigs with signs about religions and sodomy. It was upsetting to all as they had 3 kids with them and the youngest; a toddler was sleeping on the bench in front. The signs were against most religions and I didn't read the anti-sodomy signs but Nigs is not a gay bar. Most were more upset about the children and police were monitering the situation. No disruptions but then we left early.........Just passing this tidbit along

3rd Chaise to the...
Level Contributor
1,490 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gay bars in the Dells

Gotta say that I'm not real surprised about that, Cutie. The anti-abortion people with the graphic signs like to set up downtown in the Dells too. Sad.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gay bars in the Dells

The Dells is home to Rainbow Valley Resort www.rainbowvalleyresort.net (formerly Captain Dix Resort) one of the few gay resorts in the Midwest. The resort is a few miles north of the Dells but has the only gay bar and restaurant in the Dells area (you don't have to be a resort guest to eat or drink).

The staff of the resort and bar are very friendly and the food in the small restaurant is great. While mainly gay I have seen a local straight couples and families eating in the restaurant connected to the bar (never with young children, I don't think it would be appropriate). I find the restaurant and the bar to offer a nice break from the establishments in the Dells packed with screaming children (of course not yours :):).

The bar has several theme nights such as movies, 80's or theme parties which are always fun but again not appropriate for children (you have to be 21 to be in the bar).

I have been to the Dells numerous times with my partner and other gay friends we have never had any issues, the majority of the other people visiting the Dells are tourist from Chicago or Minneapolis and the locals seem to have a "live and let live attitude." I wouldn't run around the water park screaming that you are gay, afterall this is Wisconsin not Key West :) but I don't think that you should have any issues.

Have a great trip!

3rd Chaise to the...
Level Contributor
1,490 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gay bars in the Dells

Any idea when the name changed? Was there also an ownership change? I guess the last time I went past there was late spring...

Wisconsin Dells, WI
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Gay bars in the Dells

I actually live less than 8 miles from Rainbow Valley/Captain Dix. It seems to me that the name changed earlier this summer, when I noticed that the sign on Wis. Hwy 13 changed (they are on River Road, but I believe they do have a driveway on Wis 13 as well).

7. Re: Gay bars in the Dells

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:28 am, August 25, 2009