We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Our first family trip to the Dells, I need your help!

Cedar Rapids, Iowa...
Level Contributor
1 post
26 reviews
Save Topic
Our first family trip to the Dells, I need your help!

The trip will be with my wife and 4 daughters (2,8,11,15). We're not opposed to a reasonable walk but we'll probably need to be back at a decent hour for the toddler's bedtime. The other daughters will need to have something to do while we're back at the room. I've looked at the Wilderness on the Lake condos and those seem like a good option. I'm looking for suggestions though. We need a place that will be family oriented, fun for the older and younger kids and offer some place to wind down in the earlier evening. We're planning for later spring, probably mid to late May. Please help!!

WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
6,136 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Our first family trip to the Dells, I need your help!

Wilderness and Kalahari would be the best overall or Chula Vista on the bigger end of places.

Chicago Suburbs
Level Contributor
3,859 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Our first family trip to the Dells, I need your help!

I suggest you do not stay at Chula Vista because they are affiliated with a shady ripoff vacation club. Read the thread "The Club at Chula Vista" for more information.

Iowa
Level Contributor
1,448 posts
455 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Our first family trip to the Dells, I need your help!

Wilderness or Kalahari are my suggestions.

Wilderness on the Lake has just one little waterpark, good for little kids but nothing for older kids. Unfortunately, Wilderness on the Lake is a bit of a haul from the regular Wilderness waterparks (not within walking distance). They have free shuttles you could take to to the regular Wilderness waterparks, but I don't know how reliable they are (we never used them). For that reason, I would recommend one of the other Wilderness properties over the Lake location. We stayed at the regular Lodge, and thought it was fine. Many people seem to love the condos near the lodge (I can't remember the name). There's also cabin rentals on property.

Kalahari has the indoor theme park, which is tiny but my kids liked it. The 15 year old would probably be bored with it unless she really likes video games. I've never used the Kalahari waterpark, but it seems to get good reviews.

Iowa
Level Contributor
1,448 posts
455 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Our first family trip to the Dells, I need your help!

Glacier Canyon Lodge is the name of the Wilderness condos near the main lodge:-).

WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
6,136 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Our first family trip to the Dells, I need your help!

that's not Chula Vista itself though so sort of a separate entity, the condo thing is different than a motel stay. I wouldn't rule it out simply based on that connection to the place quite honestly. Don't get a condo scam deal from scammers. Lots enjoy Chula Vista. tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60403-d101119-… the highest amt. of votes is for excellent and very good and they do rate well (though not by a huge margin) and may be worth checking out simply because the default usually is Kalahari or Wilderness and that would possibly make for a quieter stay too. If it's full on summer (which it won't be when you're there) but if it's mid-late June I do recommend a smaller resort and enjoy more activities then out such as Noah's Ark and other attractions, it makes for a cheaper stay and most places still have a decent amount of amenities and water activities to keep you busy for example Aloha is on the lake and you can do lake/beach activities plus they have a pool and outdoor games and places to picnic. That's one example. http://www.alohabeachresort.com/

Edited: 10:43 am, October 31, 2013
Iowa
Level Contributor
1,448 posts
455 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Our first family trip to the Dells, I need your help!

The one caveat with Chula Vista is that some of the Mom and Pop motels/hotels give out free tickets to the Chula Vista waterpark, which can make it more crowded. On the other hand, it would be a great way to save some $$ if you didn't mind staying off site and driving to the Chula Vista waterpark when you wanted to use it.

I wouldn't let the time share scam scare me off either. Just say no if they ask if you're interested. Wilderness has the same type of thing, and we just politely but firmly told them "no thanks".

7. Re: Our first family trip to the Dells, I need your help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, November 02, 2014