We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place for CHEESE!!

Marshall, Minnesota
Level Contributor
256 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Best place for CHEESE!!

Looking for a restaurant that serves actual cheese. Not that con job place called "The Cheese Factory" (If you are going to call yourself that, at least have some cheese). One of the main things I would like to have from the dairy land is cheese curds, especially the fried kind :drool:. Anyone know where the best ones are? Didn't get that luxury last time, because of the above said place. Thanks :)

Kaukauna, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
85 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best place for CHEESE!!

Go to Carr Valley Cheese. It is a store downtown next to Gilleys bar. Not a restaurant but they have some good cheese.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,092 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best place for CHEESE!!

We have a hard time finding a restaurant without cheese curds.

But, try monks. Heard they have good burgers and curds.

3rd Chaise to the...
Level Contributor
1,490 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best place for CHEESE!!

Carr Valley also has a store in Mauston -- just off the Interstate -- if you are driving that way. Prices there are cheaper than the Dells.

Cheese stores don't typically sell the deep-fried version, but sell batter so you can make your own.

If you want hot, deep-fried, Monk's is great.

Mentioned in this post
Monk's Bar & Grill
Monk's Bar & Grill
1,409 Reviews
Wisconsin Dells, WI
Chicago
Level Contributor
69 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best place for CHEESE!!

I enjoy Market Square Cheese (I think that is what it is called?). It is the same area as Great Wolf (when you immediately exit the highway). There is a big mouse outside with a piece of cheese.

They have curds, not fried though.

I think that Culver's fried cheese curds are pretty tasty.

Mentioned in this post
Great Wolf Lodge
Great Wolf Lodge
3,875 Reviews
Wisconsin Dells, WI
Culver's
Culver's
38 Reviews
Madison, WI
3rd Chaise to the...
Level Contributor
1,490 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best place for CHEESE!!

I understand Market Square just did a major remodel and is under new ownership -- same folks who own Humbird Cheese in Tomah. So that's a good thing.

I think the Monk's curds are a teeny bit better than Culver's but that might be an atmosphere thing.

Mentioned in this post
Monk's Bar & Grill
Monk's Bar & Grill
1,409 Reviews
Wisconsin Dells, WI
Culver's
Culver's
38 Reviews
Madison, WI
Wisconsin
Level Contributor
977 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best place for CHEESE!!

We had the cheese curds at The Distillery, downtown Dells across the street from Nigs, and they were really good.

WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
6,172 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best place for CHEESE!!

Monks is coming up online tops for the cheese curds you asked about, as suggested above that should be a good place for sure to try.

8. Re: Best place for CHEESE!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, June 12, 2014