We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time visitors need accommodations help

Which Wisconsin Dells hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
7,578 posts
115 reviews
Save Topic
First time visitors need accommodations help

We are trying to decide between the Dells or Ozarks for our summer vacation. It will be two active grandparents with two ten year old grandsons (cousins). They are typical active 10 year olds, one of them loves fishing. The waterpark resorts are a possibility, but what we would really prefer is a nice cabin or condo close to a lake where they can fish. But, a pool is also a must and I'm not sure we will be able to find a cabin/condo with both a lake and swimming pool. We would also like to rent a boat one day to go out on the lake, is that possible?

None of us have ever been to the Dells before, so any help is appreciated!

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
450 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time visitors need accommodations help

Hi- there are several lakes in/near the dells: Lake Delton, Mirror Lake and Devils Lake. Mirror and Devils lake are in state parks. Devils lake is about 10-15 minute drive from the Dells and is lovely.

I don't know about condos/cabins, hopefully others can give you advice there. You may also want to check out Wilderness on the Lake (condos/waterpark). It is located on Lake Delton, has a small waterpark on site, a fantastic infinity pool that looks out on the lake, a swim beach and a dock. You may want to call them to see if you could fish from the shore or the dock. You also have access via a quick shuttle ride to the rest of the Wilderness waterparks which would be great for kids that age.

Some rental and other information:

http://www.dellswatersports.com/

dellswatersports.com/mirrorlakerentals.html

dnr.wi.gov/lakes/lakepages/LakeDetail.aspx…

http://mirrorlakewisconsin.com/

www.devilslakewisconsin.com/activities/

http://www.wildernessonthelake.com/

Have fun!

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
937 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time visitors need accommodations help

I haven't been to the Ozarks in about 20 years so don't know how it has built up over that time. I suspect that there are more activities in the Dells for families, such as the rollercoasters and gocarts that are part of Mt. Olympus, the mini golf courses, gocart tracks, Deer Park, Noah's Ark, Timbavati Wildlife Park, etc. Both places will have the lakes, duck boats, boat tours, etc. For places on the lake, you might want to look at Rivers Edge Resort and Motel, especially if you want to go fishing. You would be on the Wisconsin River just across the road from Lake Delton. It's a quick trip to get to the main Dells attractions from there but you would be away from the really busy traffic. Devil's Lake is beautiful and is a State Park. I believe only trolling motors are allowed but you can still fish. Lots of hiking opportunities.

3rd Chaise to the...
Level Contributor
1,490 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time visitors need accommodations help

I have heard good things about Holiday Shores, You might consider them -- http://holidayshoreswatersports.com/resort.

They are just north of the Dells.

3rd Chaise to the...
Level Contributor
1,490 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time visitors need accommodations help

BTW, jlr, I will be down in NOLA again soon. Can't wait!

Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
7,578 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time visitors need accommodations help

Thanks everyone, I will check out the places you mentioned. Elveric I knew your name was familiar! Actually we had planned on taking the boys to New Orleans, already had the hotel reservations made, but after the recent events there the parents are going to balk. So I'm looking for alternatives although my heart isn't really into it. Have a great trip to my favorite city!

3rd Chaise to the...
Level Contributor
1,490 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time visitors need accommodations help

If you want a "less commercial" place to stay near the Dells, you might look at the Castle Rock Lake area. There are some nice lakefront properties in that area, and you are less than an hour from the Dells. Water in the Dells is busy... not so much once you are a while out.

I am really looking forward to the NOLA trip, but I can see why you are making other choices.

Let me know when you are coming and I'll look for some other ideas.

il.
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: First time visitors need accommodations help

We've stayed a few times at the www.caribbeanclubresort.com its located on Lake delton just minutes from all the attractions in the dells, its right on the lake with docks you can fish from and has indoor and outdoor pools also, joe

Edited: 7:23 pm, May 17, 2013
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
433 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First time visitors need accommodations help

Northern Bay Resort is located on Castle Rock Lake. They have an outdoor pool, golf and boat rentals. The area is a lot quieter than Dells. The resort has condos for rent on their website, or you can look on TA rentals to deal directly with the owner. I suggest that you rent directly from the owner so you get a better condo. The resort rents out their own first and they are not as nicely furnished. I suggest Splash or Carlsen's Rustic Ridge for dining.

Wisconsin Dells
Level Contributor
142 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: First time visitors need accommodations help

Another place to consider since you are looking for a pool and fishing - Baker's Sunset Bay is located right on Lake Delton and they have an outdoor pool and a indoor pool. The indoor pool is a saline mineral pool so there are no chemicals added to it. In addition to a dock with canoes and fishing right on the lake, a beach, grills and more.

Boat rentals are available for Mirror Lake & Lake Delton through Dells Watersports. River's Edge Resort has boat rentals for the lower part of the Wisconsin River and Lake Delton. Holiday Shores has boat rentals for the Upper Dells of the Wisconsin River.

For additional information on the area, feel free to contact the Wisconsin Dells Visitor & Convention Bureau at (800) 223-3557.

10. Re: First time visitors need accommodations help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, May 24, 2014