We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lots of negative reviews about Spring Break stays

Which Wisconsin Dells hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
3rd Chaise to the...
Level Contributor
1,490 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Lots of negative reviews about Spring Break stays

An observation here. Seems there is a trend in the reviews for Spring Break travelers to the Dells -- Overcrowded and Understaffed.

What these visitors wanted -- I think -- was the full-blown summer experience in March. That's tough for resorts that only fill on weekends from September to June to manage for a two-week stretch. Kalahari and Wilderness seemed to rate better -- probably because they are more fully-staffed in the off-season.

Here's my two cents - if you are going to promote as a Spring Break destination, you had better be able to deliver. Crowds that would have been spread out over an array of outdoor activities were crammed into indoor waterparks. No wonder people were cranky. Plus there are those guests from other hotels who get passes to indoor parks that really only can accommodate the host hotel guests.

For all the crowing the Dells does about being a year-round destination, I am still skeptical that there is sufficient staff and facilities for these "hot" off-season weeks.

Iowa
Level Contributor
1,435 posts
443 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lots of negative reviews about Spring Break stays

I bet staffing is a real problem over Spring Break. Probably hard to find workers willing to work just a week or two, and then be done when things slow down again.

It *almost* makes me glad we had to cancel our trip during Spring Break this year. Dh found out he was on call about a week before we were going, so we couldn't go.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,071 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lots of negative reviews about Spring Break stays

This is exactly why we avoid traveling over spring break.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
566 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lots of negative reviews about Spring Break stays

We went to the Kalahari during the beginning of the spring break season this year. We encountered the best pool and maid staff that we've ever come across at the Kalahari over the years. Seems that they have really stepped up the management. The pool staff was a mix of teens, college students and older 30's - 40's staff. All were very professional and kept a great eye on their surroundings.

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
109 posts
333 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lots of negative reviews about Spring Break stays

My friends and I have gone to the Wilderness for the past 3 spring breaks and we've always had a great experience with nothing really to complain about.

Iowa
Level Contributor
1,435 posts
443 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lots of negative reviews about Spring Break stays

Good to know that at least some people have had good experiences over spring break:-).

The Chula Vista reviews seem to be the worst....

Illinois
Level Contributor
134 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lots of negative reviews about Spring Break stays

No surprise

Illinois
Level Contributor
134 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lots of negative reviews about Spring Break stays

Search this topic on this forum......you will understand "Value for the $$ -Don't understand the attraction of Dells"

Iowa
Level Contributor
1,435 posts
443 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lots of negative reviews about Spring Break stays

Oh boy...here we go again;-)!!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Madison
Level Contributor
1,244 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lots of negative reviews about Spring Break stays

i think that people need to let the Dells be the Dells. Trying to make it into Disneyland, or some other high end resort just isn't realistic. It's close for midwesterners and doesn't require plane tickets and you can usually have a good time. Oh, and I am sure it is hard to get staff for spring break! I with these hotel/resort owners well, but it sounds like they are having some hiccups that need to be worked on.

Pam

Indiana
Level Contributor
1,417 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lots of negative reviews about Spring Break stays

People go to the Dells for the same reason they go to Gatlinburg, TN, Mackinac City, MI and Branson, MO. Because their parents took them there when they were little and they have great memories of the place. Plus it's a fun family place with some of the best waterparks. We will be there the 2nd week of June. It's our 3rd trip up. Can't wait.