We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kalahari or Chula Vista for nature-lovers with tweens?

Which Wisconsin Dells hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Decatur, Georgia
Level Contributor
14 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
Kalahari or Chula Vista for nature-lovers with tweens?

We are coming mid-September with our two tween girls and waterpark reviews are overwhelmingly for Kalahari, but the Dells "strip" seems kinda Vegas-y (not appealing to us), and we are also interested in hiking, maybe boating and a really nice spa. Would Chula Vista be a better choice?

WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
6,026 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kalahari or Chula Vista for nature-lovers with tweens?

Kalahari is right off the freeway. If you look at Chula's website the overview picture of the exterior above the resort shows lots of greenery, at least the ones on their website and online when you google, etc. Their location is much better suited overall for the things you listed.

Chicago Suburbs
Level Contributor
3,435 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kalahari or Chula Vista for nature-lovers with tweens?

The Dells is more suburban sprawly than Vegas-y.

"Not appealing to us." Who is us? Parents or kids?

The Dells are for kids. Go to the better waterpark. Plenty of nice places to hike close by. Devil's Lake State Park is great for hiking.

Iowa
Level Contributor
1,427 posts
443 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kalahari or Chula Vista for nature-lovers with tweens?

You'll need to drive to hiking or boating whichever resort you pick, so I would go with whatever waterpark you think looks more appealing:-). Kalahari does seem to get better marks for it's waterpark and indoor theme park. I haven't yet stayed at either of your choices though so I have no first-hand knowledge.

I don't think any of the waterpark resorts are right on the "strip" (which I think of as the downtown area), but Kalahari, Wilderness, and Great Wolf are located right off the highway. No idea on Chula; I've never seen it.

The Wilderness resort (I have stayed there) did have a few (paved) walking paths around the resort, and you easily walk (sidewalk) from the resort for a view of the lake. They also have a free wagon ride at Wilderness; we didn't have time to do it but I was under the impression it maybe went in the woods?

For hiking in the Dells region, you'll for sure want to go to Devil's Lake State Park They have a nice beach there too!

Chicago Suburbs
Level Contributor
3,435 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kalahari or Chula Vista for nature-lovers with tweens?

The Strip and downtown are separate areas. The Strip is Wisconsin Dells Parkway, and downtown centers on Broadway.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
1,034 posts
543 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kalahari or Chula Vista for nature-lovers with tweens?

Yes, Kalahari is the better waterpark. However, Chula Vista is good and has some nice/unique slide options that appeal to teens. I like Chula Vista as it is in the country and has many trees. We enjoy walking along the trees/river at Chula Vista. Chula Vista is a large facility, but not as sprawling with people as Kalahari. We typically go the condo route, and we prefer Chula's condos over Kalahari's. That said, you will still drive to hiking/boating desitnations whichever hotel you stay at. But Chula Vista has a nice "Away from it all" feel.

3rd Chaise to the...
Level Contributor
1,490 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kalahari or Chula Vista for nature-lovers with tweens?

Keep in mind that in mid-September the outdoor waterparks are closed for the season and that really changes the complexion of the Dells. There are festivals a couple of weekends.

If you want to hike near the Dells, there is Rocky Arbor state park. It's used much less than Devil's Lake, and has "easier" trails.

7. Re: Kalahari or Chula Vista for nature-lovers with tweens?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, March 04, 2014