We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand Marquis or Chula Vista for 3 young kids for 3 nts

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
49 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Grand Marquis or Chula Vista for 3 young kids for 3 nts

We are going to Wisconsin Dells in late March for 3 nights with our 3 kids age 2, 5, and 7. As we are trying to stay on a budget and balancing that with making sure there is enough for the kids to do for 3 days, we have limited our choices to between Grand Marquis, which seems to have good reviews but very small vs. Chula Vista. Any suggestions and insights would be greatly appreciated.

Are there other ones that we should consider also?

We would consider going to Great Wolf Lodge or Kalahari, but they just seem a lot more pricier. Are they really worth double or triple the price? Considering our children are still kind of young, should we start with the smaller water parks, then work our way up? Or should we consider the best that Wisconsin Dells has to offer, so as not to waste our precious vacation time?

Tracy

WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
6,165 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grand Marquis or Chula Vista for 3 young kids for 3 nts

If you're coming from Chicago perhaps you'd want to consider something closer to you if you're going to be indoors since it's not summer and budget wise you aren't interested necessarily in going big, also with the kids ages to consider. My recommendation would be to try something closer. Lake Geneva would be a good option, also Milwaukee as you're close to many activities including the wonderful Betty Brinn Children's museum and The Domes! Pricewise I don't know how much savings or not but definitely less car driving and gas cost. travelwisconsin.com/attractions/waterparks-p…

from the article and my suggestions would be these below as well then based on your post specifics:

"If you're looking for a more urban family getaway, consider the Milwaukee Hilton’s Paradise Landing indoor water park. The 20,000 sq. ft. facility features a three-story Jamaican village theme with four water slides and an idyllic lagoon. Plus, you’re in the middle of the city’s many family attractio ns – th e zoo, the museums, cosmo shopping and dining. In nearby Waukesha, The Country Springs Hotel and Water Park is a great choice: think two-and-a-half football fields of indoor water fun - including their signature Body Flume waterslide - will keep the kids active and happy.

Another exciting indoor water park destination is Moose Mountain Falls on the grounds of the Grand Geneva Resort & Spa at Timber Ridge Lodge in Lake Geneva. Complete with 30,000 square feet of indoor fun, the water park has two waterslides, a lazy river, splash pools filled with interactive water features, and a large whirlpool.

So c’mon, get wet – it’s Wisconsin’s way of having fun!"

If you're wanting to remain in the Dells then I would say a smaller places suits fine for now for ages. We love the offerings of the Dells in the summer and you can find ways to enjoy cheaper--take in Noah's Ark (great coupons), deer park, the rail dog, Riverside and Great Northern Railway and much much more.

Edited: 12:22 pm, February 09, 2013
WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
6,165 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grand Marquis or Chula Vista for 3 young kids for 3 nts

to expand more on the above....we love to take in a smaller resort (Polynesian being one) for the 10 and under crowd, and do a couple of activities like the Ducks, Noah's Ark, maybe the Deer Park. You can always just choose one or two per visit and keep things cheaper too. The Polynesian I prefer in the summer and the summer in the Dells--earlier June is good (less crowds) as well as weekdays (Tuesday for example) compared to the busier times on/around the weekend!

I really think though with the kids ages and not wanting the cost of a big place like Kalahari and the fact you'll miss the summer activity options for the most part (deer park is open, etc.) I think you can also simplify by staying closer to home and enjoying even more time there with less expense and have just as much or more fun.

Enjoy whatever you decide.

Edited: 12:27 pm, February 09, 2013
3rd Chaise to the...
Level Contributor
1,490 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grand Marquis or Chula Vista for 3 young kids for 3 nts

If you do decide to go to the Dells,there is no question that Chula Vista offers much more on site than the Grand Marquis.

If you were coming in the summer, I would also suggest Polynesian, but there is not a lot there during the winter.

I think that you are better off starting at a smaller place and moving up.

By the way, I think three nights in the Dells in late March is more than enough. Have you thought about spending a night in either Madison or Milwaukee?

Waukesha, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grand Marquis or Chula Vista for 3 young kids for 3 nts

Hi - We have stayed at Chula Vista Resort and love it! We have two young children under the age of three and it's perfect. Not overly big like the Kalahari or Wilderness where we feel overwhelmed and leave with a headache. The waterpark allowed our young children to have a blast where we could play with them and enjoy the water too! We have stayed in the condo's before at Chula Vista which offers more space for the kids, which is really nice and for me and my husband to enjoy the fireplace too! Plus, where they are located it is really nice in the winter! Best of all, we like that it's affordable and not overpriced like many other Resorts in the dells! Hope you enjoy wherever you go! :)

Minnesota
Level Contributor
1,088 posts
681 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grand Marquis or Chula Vista for 3 young kids for 3 nts

Chula Vista is a nice resort and great for your kids' ages and for those older. We've never stayed more than 2 nights at Chula Vista. Three days is a lot since you are planning on coming in the month of March. I could not envision the Grand Marquis for more than one night..

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
49 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grand Marquis or Chula Vista for 3 young kids for 3 nts

Thank you all so much for taking the time to respond to my question! Sorry that it took me a while to reply! I have done some more research based on your recommendations. In fact, it had really changed my travel plan. Originally, I was just going to go and stay at one water park resort and spend my entire time there. Based on your suggestions, I am thinking it might be fun to go and explore deer park one day, going to a magic show one night, and maybe going to an indoor amusement park on another day. This means I really do not need to spend money staying at a water park resort and feel as if I have to go to the water park for all four days to get my money's worth.

In fact, I have already booked a jacuzzi suite at a hotel that would offer breakfast and Chula Vista pass. Thus, the kids could still jump in the water in the evening if we don't feel like going back to the water park after dinner.

I also want to thank hatch pal for suggesting the other possible destinations, which I did look into. I was very excited to learn that Milwaukee has so much to offer. I have already pick that city as our next destination for either fall or summer vacation.

Again, a big thanks to all of your time and advice!!

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
55 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Grand Marquis or Chula Vista for 3 young kids for 3 nts

You mentioned - "In fact, I have already booked a jacuzzi suite at a hotel that would offer breakfast and Chula Vista pass."

Which hotel is this? We are also planning to visit Dells in last week of March and trying to decide the hotel. Your situation and question is exactly what we are looking for, except we just have 1 child of 6 yrs age. Your hotel choice sounds good. please let me know!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
49 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Grand Marquis or Chula Vista for 3 young kids for 3 nts

Skyline hotel! The one I booked has two bedrooms, but you can get a king bed one with jacuzzi too! Have fun!

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
55 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Grand Marquis or Chula Vista for 3 young kids for 3 nts

Hello Tracy,

Thanks for letting me know the hotel. yesterday I found a great deal - am not sure if you can /will be willing to cancel your skyline hotel or be interested in it. The place is called Ambers Hideway. They are giving waterpark passes for not only Chula Vista, but also for Kalahari (both water and amusement park) plus basic breakfast. Price is also pretty reasonable. and reviews are pretty good too.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
49 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Grand Marquis or Chula Vista for 3 young kids for 3 nts

Hi inferno,

I did see that deal with that hotel, which comes down to about $150 per night plus tax with one room. With three kids, we prefer a suite that we could shut the door and the kids out. Kalahari had a special that you can buy a family pass for 4 on Tuesdays for $50 for the amusement park. I did have a hard time deciding between AH and Skyline. Again, I picked the later for the extra room, breakfast, and the jacuzzi in the room for kids entertainment at night for about $110 a night. By the way, for $150, you could just stay at Chula Vista and not have to worry about drying your child after each swim. Good luck with your decision! Better yet, you could just book the regular room at AH for $59 a night, which comes with the CV water park pass. You can just buy the extra Kalahari passes if you want to go! You might save more that way!