We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel with watermark for the kids and fishing for me?

Which Wisconsin Dells hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NY
Level Contributor
387 posts
120 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel with watermark for the kids and fishing for me?

Hello everyone,

I gotta say, trying to book a first time visit to the dells is a bit intimidating, even for a seasoned traveller! Anyway, my wife and young daughters love

Water parks and I love to fish. seemed like a trip to the Midwest would be perfect for our end of summer vacation. but where even to begin? Any suggestions on best staying options are greatly appreciated. I do know we have stayed At other great wolf lodges and enjoyed them...but I see places like kalahari, wilderness, Olympus, and I don't know where to begin! Thanks!

Larry

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
937 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel with watermark for the kids and fishing for me?

Are you wanting to have a place where you can bring a boat rent a boat or just fish from shore? Some of the resorts/cabins around Lake Delton will have package deals to the waterparks. The Wilderness does have some units on the water but the probably doesn't rent boats but you can ask. There is a marina fairly close.

NY
Level Contributor
387 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel with watermark for the kids and fishing for me?

Thanks for the advice! I will want to fish from shore but we will also likely rent a boat for a day or two. I guess I could hop in the car and go to the river, but an onsite option would be helpful.

il.
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel with watermark for the kids and fishing for me?

Check the Caribbean Club Resort, its on Lake Delton you can fish from shore and they do have row boats, both indoor and outdoor pools, cookout areas, request ground level room its so much more convienent, we stayed there a couple times and really like it, peaceful and away from the downtown area but 3-4 minutes away from everything, joe

Milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
108 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel with watermark for the kids and fishing for me?

I don't fish, but I do know Lake Delton drained a couple of years ago. That may have had an impact on the size/amount of fish in the lake now? Just throwing that out there.

How old are your kids? I have been taking our kids (14,13,10....and 5) to the Dells twice each summer since they were born. We have stayed at all of the larger waterpark resorts - Great Wolf, Chula Vista, Kalahari, Mt Olympus, Wilderness. In fact, we just got back from staying at the Kalahari. For what it's worth, they all said they'd prefer to do Mt Olympus next time. Their wave pool is the biggest and wildest, and the kids get to ride the roller coasters and go carts all they want. Good for kids the ages of mine. All of the resorts have their share of fun waterslides, but I would have to rank Great Wolf at the bottom. For purely outdoor fun, Noah's Ark is the best, but hope for warm and dry weather!

3rd Chaise to the...
Level Contributor
1,490 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel with watermark for the kids and fishing for me?

To respond to milwcu, the DNR and local groups spent a lot of $$ to restock Lake Delton after the draining, My guess is that the fishing is as good as it ever was for a busy lake.

None of the big waterpark resorts are on lakes -- I wonder why? -- So you would need to drive to fish if you stayed at one of those properties, I suspect that some of the lakeside placs mentioned above have waterpark deals so you might save some $$ by checking with them.

NY
Level Contributor
387 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel with watermark for the kids and fishing for me?

Thanks for the great info guys! I guess I will have to drive to fish! No problem. Maybe will stay 2 nights on the water and 2 nights at a water park. My girls are 6 and 8. Totally confused as to where to stay, but it seems as though they all have at least decent water parks! Thanks.

7. Re: Hotel with watermark for the kids and fishing for me?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, July 18, 2013