We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting from Chicago to Dells in April

Which Wisconsin Dells hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cerritos, California
Level Contributor
49 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Getting from Chicago to Dells in April

I am thinking about taking my family to the Kalahari resort the week of April the 9th. I would be flying in from Los Angeles. The cheapest flight would be to go from LAX to Chicago Ohare. We would then rent a car and drive to the Dells. What would driving conditions be like in early April? I am concerned about snow/icy conditions. Thoughts?

Genesee Depot...
Level Contributor
394 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting from Chicago to Dells in April

Less than a 5% chance an ice storm could hit. You should have an easy drive with no snow/ice. If there was, the roads would be warm and salt trucks laying down the treats. :)

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
1,125 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting from Chicago to Dells in April

I wouldn't worry too much. It's a rare chance that we get substantial snow or icy conditions after the end of March. Not unheard of, but by that point the plows and salt trucks wouldn't be clearing feet of snow from previous storms, so they'll clear the roads pretty quickly if anything came through.

I originally wrote thinking you were going to Lake Geneva. The route to the Dells is highway the whole way, so you should have no problems since the highways are usually plowed/salted first.

Edited: 9:38 am, February 10, 2012
3rd Chaise to the...
Level Contributor
1,490 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting from Chicago to Dells in April

You are on major highways the entire way from O'Hare to the Kalahari, so it likely will not be a problem. It will be about a 3 1/2 hour drive, depending on traffic and any early season construction.

Just a thought -- if you don't need a car in the Dells, you can fly to Madison and the Kalahari will send a shuttle for you. Not sure about the cost on that.

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,219 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting from Chicago to Dells in April

Have you checked flights into Milwaukee? It's a much more manageable airport than O'hare and an easier drive to the Dells.

5. Re: Getting from Chicago to Dells in April

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:21 am, June 12, 2013