We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Great Wolf? Kalahari? Wilderness? Can't decide

cortlandt manor, ny
Level Contributor
51 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Great Wolf? Kalahari? Wilderness? Can't decide

I am travelling with my 7 yr old during spring break wk(here in NY its 4/8-4/16)We went to the Great Wolf in Williamsburg in Feb and LOVED it. Hear the one in Wisconsin is bigger but I can't decide which park in Dells is better. Will be taking a LONG ride to get there so any help would be appreciated

Mentioned in this post
Great Wolf Lodge
Great Wolf Lodge
3,875 Reviews
Wisconsin Dells, WI
Wisconsin
Wisconsin
United States
3rd Chaise to the...
Level Contributor
1,490 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Great Wolf? Kalahari? Wilderness? Can't decide

Maybe this will help... Great Wolf and Wilderness both have MAJOR construction projects that will probably still be going on at that time.

I'd book Kalahari and avoid the mess.

Mentioned in this post
Great Wolf Lodge
Great Wolf Lodge
3,875 Reviews
Wisconsin Dells, WI
Wilderness Resort
Wilderness Resort
3,101 Reviews
Wisconsin Dells, WI
st. louis
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Great Wolf? Kalahari? Wilderness? Can't decide

How Long is the rennovation going on?

lake delton wis
Level Contributor
169 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Great Wolf? Kalahari? Wilderness? Can't decide

Great Wolf has a new mall and bowling fun center being built next to it and should by done in early July...Wilderness is addding an indoor water park expansion along with more condos and don't know when that will be completed, but it is a mess.

Mentioned in this post
Great Wolf Lodge
Great Wolf Lodge
3,875 Reviews
Wisconsin Dells, WI
Wilderness Resort
Wilderness Resort
3,101 Reviews
Wisconsin Dells, WI
Level Contributor
99 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Great Wolf? Kalahari? Wilderness? Can't decide

In the travel section of my local newspaper the Wilderness is being advertised as having the largest indoor waterpark now (over 150,00 sq. ft.) and this leads me to assume the construction is finished. Read my extensive review of the Kalahari to see why I recommend it. I am looking at rates for the Wilderness now though.

Mentioned in this post
Wilderness Resort
Wilderness Resort
3,101 Reviews
Wisconsin Dells, WI
3rd Chaise to the...
Level Contributor
1,490 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Great Wolf? Kalahari? Wilderness? Can't decide

Didn't look like Construction at the Wilderness was done when I drove past there a week ago. I don't think it's going to be completed for a while yet. I'd ask the reservation people before I booked.

Mentioned in this post
Wilderness Resort
Wilderness Resort
3,101 Reviews
Wisconsin Dells, WI
Level Contributor
33 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Great Wolf? Kalahari? Wilderness? Can't decide

We have been to all three waterparks (Kalahari once, Great Wolf once and Wilderness several times) and stayed most recently at the Wilderness in February. The construction of the new waterpark did NOT interupt our stay in the least. As much fun as the Kalahari and Great Wolf were, our kids (ages 9, 8 & 6) would choose the Wilderness hands down. The lines are shorter (Kalahari has day passes), you can bring your own food and drink (just no glass) to the pool area (what a money saver!!), and on the day you check out you can stay and swim until the waterparks close (at Kalahari you need to leave the waterpark by 3:00pm). The 2 new rides at the Wilderness - Hurricane and Cannonbowl - are a blast! Not sure if my kids or my husband and I had more fun :) It is possible the new waterpark may be open when you come visit - just keep checking their website. Hope this helps - let us know what you decide!

Mentioned in this post
Great Wolf Lodge
Great Wolf Lodge
3,875 Reviews
Wisconsin Dells, WI
Wilderness Resort
Wilderness Resort
3,101 Reviews
Wisconsin Dells, WI
st. louis
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Great Wolf? Kalahari? Wilderness? Can't decide

Thanks for all of the advice!! We are going to Wilderness - my husband's choice.

Mentioned in this post
Wilderness Resort
Wilderness Resort
3,101 Reviews
Wisconsin Dells, WI
8. Re: Great Wolf? Kalahari? Wilderness? Can't decide

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 pm, August 12, 2009