We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question about booking a room at Wilderness

Green Bay, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
22 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Question about booking a room at Wilderness

First time there for our family, kids are 10, 4, and 2. We plan on going in late August during the birthday deals days they have. I've read that some rooms are much further from the activities than others. With the little ones, closer would be really nice. Any suggestions?

Also, i noticed they have a birthday club...all 3 kids have late aug/very early sept b-days...what type of "special offers" do they have for them?

chicago, IL
Level Contributor
40 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question about booking a room at Wilderness

I'm sure you and the kids will have a good time.

Glacier Canyon rooms are seperated from the main hotel, however, an indoor walkway connects it with some of the resort activities such as lazer tag, indoor water parks, the pottery place, indoor playground, 2 of the larger arcades, indoor mini golf, etc. However, the Glacier Canyon side also has an outdoor water park of it's own with outdoor mini golf and a smaller arcade and bar. No full restaurant on the Glacier Canyon side.

The cabins are seperated from the main hotel and do not have a connected walkway to the activities. However, they do have some outdoor pools I believe - I have not stayed in the cabins before.

The Wilderness on the Lake is just that on the lake and is removed from the main property - you would need to take a shuttle or car to get to most of the resort activities. The Wilderness on the Lake does have a smaller indoor waterpark and pool as well.

We often stay in the Glacier Canyon section, but have also stayed in the main Wilderness hotel in the past. The hotel portion will be the closest to all activities, but if looking for a bit more spacious room with the family, you will have better luck at the Glacier Canyon section and still be fairly close to the activites, although some hiking will be involved for some.

A few years ago our daughter had a B-Day while we were there and they decorated the room while we were at the parks, left a few gifts, cake, etc so when we came back to the room it was there. It wasn't anything spectacular, but fun and she liked it. Of course we didn't tell her ahead of time they were doing that. I think it was like $30 or so.

Have fun.

Cincinnati
Level Contributor
1 post
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Question about booking a room at Wilderness

I don't know about deals but we just got back from Wilderness and we stayed in room 474 and it was perfect. It is on the first floor and it is in the L shapped building right between New Frontier and Wild West. We were smack dab in the middle of everything. And being on the first floor was great so if we forgot sun screen or needed a bottle of water we could easily grab it.

The section that is best is the one that runs parellel to the stream at the back with the big parking lot in the front.

Our room was at the back of the building so your view is woods.

The only part of the park that is farther away is Lost World Outdoor water park but it was not the good part anyway.

Peoria, Illinois
Level Contributor
4 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question about booking a room at Wilderness

Reading a lot of comments about the walking distance at Wilderness, I stayed there last year with a 2 & 4 year old. Yes, some distances are a few hundred yards, but I did not feel there was anything extraordinary.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
809 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Question about booking a room at Wilderness

Its a big resort and theres no getting away from that fact. However - even if you're at the farthest flung spot you can get a shuttle to take you where you want to go. They run regularly all day and evening long and you dont have to wait very long to get one.

5. Re: Question about booking a room at Wilderness

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:19 pm, October 05, 2012