We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rome vs Wilderness

Evansville, IN
Level Contributor
52 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Rome vs Wilderness

We are making our 3rd trip to the Dells this year. Checking in Sunday My 31 and leaving Thursday June 4. I think this is still right before things get busy. Anyway, we've only stayed at Mt. Olympus, now Hotel Rome. But Wilderness looks promising too. Has anyone stayed at both and care to compare/contrast them? Our group is 2 adults and an 8 year old boy.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,083 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rome vs Wilderness

We have stayed at both and here our our thoughts:

We stayed at Rome when it was Trasure Island and thought it was great, if you have little kids. We had a two year old at the time and it was perfect for her. But we got so bored! It is so small inside that there wasn't enough to do. They do have the indoor theme park now. Will your son be tall enough to enjoy it?

We have since stayed at Wilderness, and this has become our only destination in the Dells. We have stayed here 8 times and keep going back. We usually stay in Glacier Canyon Lodge (sttached by a heated hallway) in a 2 bedroom condo since we now have 3 kids. Plus the full kitchen is nice to have. There is SO much more to do here. There are 3 waterparks, mini golf, 3 story play yard, arcade, and hiking trails. We usually only do the waterparks and sometimes the play yard but our kids love it. There is enough waterpark that you don't get bored. More slides and they have a couple family raft rides, 2 wave pools, 2 interactive play features (for adults as well).

With the age of your son I would say the Wilderness hands down! Check out dells.com and compare the two. But I would go to Wilderness, IMO.

Have fun

Evansville, IN
Level Contributor
52 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rome vs Wilderness

Thanks for the reply. He was 6 last trip and was able to ride the mousetrap type coaster at Olympus' indoor park. He's a big boy.

I'm really leaning towards Wilderness, but the wife really likes Olympus. I suspect we may stay a few days at each.

Wi
Level Contributor
1,296 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rome vs Wilderness

I think the Mt. Olympus has better indoor waterpark for little ones and nice roller coasters and some outdoor waterpark for older kids. I personally like the wilderness for kids in your childs age range as I have a son in your range and he prefers the Wilderness over Mt. Olympus. Nothing against Mt. Olympus but he likes the big water slides. Either way he will have fun and enjoy it. Have a great trip.

Carlyle, IL
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Rome vs Wilderness

My husband and our 12 year old daughter are also planning a trip the end of July. We have never been to the dells, and would take any advice on things to do and places to stay. How was your trip? Any advice from anyone??

Evansville, IN
Level Contributor
52 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rome vs Wilderness

We ended up staying a few nights at Wilderness and a few nights at Great Wolf.

We decided to go back to Mt Olympus/Rome next time.

There was nothing bad about Wilderness. It's just very big and very spread out. It seemed we spent more time walking and less time doing.

We enjoyed Great Wolf more than the Wilderness. Its water parks are much more centralized. My boy was disappointed though that Wiley's Woods is no longer there.

For us Mt Olympus is the best way to go. Good water parks. Decent go karts. Decent amusement patk. All for one price and one stop.

6. Re: Rome vs Wilderness

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:32 am, December 05, 2009