We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where should we stay with little kids?

Chicago, IL
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Where should we stay with little kids?

Hi,

We have 3 Adults and 2 very small children (2 1/2, and 10months). I would like to find a really nice hotel, but something that has kiddie areas for my kids. Any recommendations? Thanks.

M

milwaukee
Level Contributor
660 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where should we stay with little kids?

we've been to the polynesian, chula vista and the raintree over the last two years. our children 2 and 6 and preferred the raintree overall. the raintree is specifically designed for those children 10 and under. we went in october of 2004 for the first time and loved it. the indoor pool area is not overwhelming and you can easily keep an eye on your young ones while in the "kiddie pool". The raintree also offers free "flotation" devices / life jackets to its young guests. Our two year old let us put one on him and he loved it. the raintree is also in a great location as far as other choices for eating, the only place to eat inside the raintree (that I remember) was a small place called "crocodile cafe". We never ate there because there were so many other choices for us.

the polynesian has two pool areas indoors. One is right off the lobby and has a basketball area and then the kid pool with a frog slide. There are also two hot tubs in this area. The other indoor area is "temple of the black pearl". Here you will find the water factory (fountains, gysers, bouncy swings) and the lazy river ( they provide you with the tubes). the other plus about the polynesian that my husband and I loved was the play room. It had legos, a big screen t.v, blocks and other toys that kids would love. When we got tired of the water park we would take them down there and let them run around. It's not a huge room I think they just combined two or three smaller conference rooms. Granted, it was perfect size for kids under 6.

chula vista, is located about a mile from the tourist shops. we stayed here in october of 2003. now that we have "gotten around" I would describe this pool area as "dirty" and in need of repairs. everything seemed so cramped together.

my suggestion for you would be raintree. go to www.ratethedells.com and you will find all the information you need about the raintree. we use this site often when planning our trips to the dells. It includes pictures, reviews and any info about room types. once you log on click on the word resorts that is on the left hand side. you should get a long list of resorts then just scan down until you find raintree and then click.

hope this wasn't too long

I love the dells

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,411 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where should we stay with little kids?

I also recommend Raintree, especially for kids as young as yours - they will love it. I also love the big lagoon-style outdoor hot tub - a nice perk for the grown-ups. The rooms are pretty basic, though, and it sounds like that might be an issue for you - don't get me wrong, they are clean and spacious, with a fridge & microwave, but very typical hotel rooms. If you want "a really nice hotel," you might try Wilderness or Kalahari, but in my opinion, you will be paying a lot more money for waterpark features that you can't even use (and getting to the waterparks from your room can require a significant hike or possibly even a shuttle ride - not good options when you have little kids in tow and a diaper bag, stroller, etc. to bring with you.) I also agree with the previous poster on Chula Vista - I've stayed there several times and the indoor waterpark seemed pretty dirty and rundown our last visit.

One additional recommendation for you - no matter where you stay in the Dells, ask for a room on the top floor so you don't have to hear the hoards of children running in the halls above you (trust me on this!)

denver, ia
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where should we stay with little kids?

I would suggest wilderness on the lake. They have 2 and 3 bedroom condos. Each have two bathrooms, a full kitchen, dining area and living room. There are four tv's in the 2 bedroom unit we usually stay in, 2 fireplaces and each unit is equiped with a washer and dryer. (The washer and dryer is very helpful when traveling with small children). These are very nice. The lake has an outdoor infiniti pool for the adults and there is a screened in porch in your condo with a fireplace, tv and hot tub. This is especially nice for the adults once the little ones have gone to bed.

We have been staying here since my son was 1 1/2. He loves it. The condos also have their own waterpark. This is geared toward younger childeren. This will be perfect for your 2 1/2 year old.

Another great thing about wilderness on the lake is that you have all of the benefits of the main resort, which has a waterpark excusively for very small children.

The wilderness, like some of the other hotels mentioned, also provides life jackets for small children to use in the waterpark.

IL
Level Contributor
7,205 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where should we stay with little kids?

Definitely Wilderness On the Lake!

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
3 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where should we stay with little kids?

Raintree is a great place for younger kids. Very nice hotel, fun waterpark, and it's designed with younger kids in mind. They do have 2 larger slides that make a nice compromise if you have older ones coming along too. All under one roof.

The con for Wilderness is that you have to be transported to the waterparks - they are not all in the same building. If you go during the winter - it can be chilling. However, access to kitchens w/ younger ones is really nice -more of a home feeling than hotel.