We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

So confused and need a little help:

Iowa
Level Contributor
835 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
So confused and need a little help:

I will try to be brief:

1) should we stay at a waterpark resort with the free passes or stay somewhere else that is nice and go to a lot of different places?? Suggestions?

2) weekends work well for us but we don't like the weekend crowds. I just read on Noah's Ark that Sunday is slowest; is that true?? If so could I get tickets to do the ducks on Saturday and then go to Noah's ark on Sunday and avoid excessive crowds? Is there a better way?

3) we are thinking of going to the Kalahari--is that stupid if we are going to do day trips? Is Noah's Ark that great that we would want to take a day there??

UGH! I hate planning trips! But I looooove going.

Gina

Gillett, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
374 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: So confused and need a little help:

1) We've done both. You need to think about what you want to get out of your trip. If you don't want to hang around one hotel, you might go to a more affordable hotel and then buy day passes at the Kalahari, Noah's Ark, etc. I think only the Wilderness and Great Wolf reserve their waterparks for guests of the resort only.

2) I've always heard that Sunday is typically a low attendance day at Noah's Ark. Most weekend visitors are headed home at hotel checkout time.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
46 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: So confused and need a little help:

Hello Gina,

We have found that when we went weekends- it was more expensive for lodging and even busier. We arrive on a Sunday, week-end people are leaving...........and stay three nights. July is peak month, but it is the only time my husband can get off of work...

Two years ago we rented an average hotel, and bought tickets for Noah's Ark, the first day we arrived it poured and thunderstorms the entire day, the following day we bought tickets for Noah's Ark...we were there maybe 2 hours and the clouds turned dark, the wind picked up, temp dropped drastically...we left, no refunds. our children were very very disappointed, some friends had recommended The Great Wolf Lodge...so we thought we'd try it just in case we had bad weather again....we LOVED it!!! Its CLEAN, SPACIOUS, go to GREATWOLF.COM and check out internet specials...get a virtual tour. If you run into bad weather, you can still do the waterparks...theres outside and 3 indoor waterparks, all connected, not far apart (some other waterparks you need to take shuttles from one to another) we never encountered long lines. Its only open to the guests, very CLEAN, waterfun for everyone!! attentive lifeguards, I don't know how old your children are, mine are 9 & 10.....we go to other attractions during the day, go carts, pirates cove, Tommy Bartlett exploratory, jet boats, then we go back to hotel after supper and do waterparks till 10 pm...thats just our scheldule...we are returning the end of July. If you stay at a waterpark hotel, you don't even need to go to Noahs Ark...We thought the Ducks were pretty boring and slow, we enjoyed the jet boats MUCH MUCH more...any other questions, just ask, I'll help if I can...Good luck (I hate planning too, but once you've been there a couple times...you learn, whats a rip-off, where to eat,...have fun.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
46 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: So confused and need a little help:

forgot to mention...the Kalahari and The Wilderness have very large crowds, they are BIG places with many people....be prepared for long lines, especially in July, August peak months....

Iowa
Level Contributor
835 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: So confused and need a little help:

Thank you!

I have been trying to avoid the Great Wolf because we are going there for New Years in Kansas City. It will be our first time there and I wanted to keep it special.

That said: I really like the idea of only letting hotel guests use the waterpark. My husband is especially bad with lines. It there an outdoor park as well?? It the food reasonable?

I am so sorry about your prior trip. I didn't even think about the weather and Noah's Ark being outdoors only. It really is best to go somewhere that had indoor/outdoor water parks. Especially if it isn't packed!!

Can you give me the name of the water jets you used??

Also, if we are going to the Great Wolf does it matter whether we go on the weekends or on the weekdays??

DO you suggest any other non-waterpark things to do?? "we" are myself, and my husband and my two teenage boys who are 14 and 17.

TIA!! I appreciate your help.

Gina

Gillett, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
374 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: So confused and need a little help:

We'll be staying at the Great Wolf later this summer for all of the reasons above. The room rates are cheaper during the week, but we'll be there for a long weekend.

There is a lot to do in the Dells / Baraboo / Lake Delton area. I'm pretty sure you can rent the jet skis at Lake Delton. You can also go hiking at Devil's Lake, the cliffs are great. If any of you like to golf (we love it), try Baraboo Country Club. It's beautiful.

Iowa
Level Contributor
835 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: So confused and need a little help:

Thank you! We love to golf so that sounds like something we should do. I am sorry about all the bad weather you encountered. I didn't think of the problem of weather. Does the GWL have an outdoor pool also?? Are there reasonable places to eat? Any condos??

I think it is jet boating---a tour. I would love to do it if anyone can suggest which trip to take and with which company.

I am feeling very positive about going to GWL. I love it that they aren't going to over crowd it by letting the public in.

I think we will go Sunday to the

Minnesota
Level Contributor
46 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: So confused and need a little help:

Hello once again, I'll try to answer your questions; We rode the Jetboats located behind the Mexicali Rose Restaurant....they are so much fun...your sons would enjoy them 10 times more than the Ducks.

Yes, there is a outdoor waterpark at Great Wolf also, but it is not as big as the indoor waterparks. Some seniors from our school stayed at Great Wolf Lodge last week, there was a dance competition at the Dells, and they thought it was great.........We have never eaten there, there are so many other places, more reasonable.here is our list of favorites....Rivers Edge pub & grub, Pedros Mexican, Cheese Factory...is wonderful!!!!!!!try their green tea spritzer to drink, and their princess cake for dessert, Monks Bar & Grill for the BEST burgers in town,MooseJaw, wonderful atmosphere, and great food, Pizza Pub, has salad bar, and soup, many different pizzas..if you like mashed potatoes & gravy, try their mashed potaoes and gravy pizza, if there isn't one made, ask your waitress if they'll make one...it is delicious!!!! also have dessert pizza, all you can eat buffet..very reasonable. Dennys Diner, Family Chef, R Place Restaurant....we found through trial and error where to eat, I wish someone had given us suggestions...our first year we ate someplace that had flies kicking in the butter at the buffet and scrambled eggs sitting in cold water and cold biscuits and gravy (it has since closed) .....next, things to do....if you haven't been there before, go to The Tommy Bartlett Watershow (go in the evening) so that you can see the beautiful water light show...and your boys would love the Lazer Runner, and Especially Wizard Quest, they'll want to go twice! Jet boats and we go to Pirates Cove always, its beautiful but we are not good golfers...there are different levels to choose from depending on your golf skills...We are going to the Rick Wilcox Magic Show this year, we have heard wonderful comments about it. Great Wolf Lodge does have a condo, 3 bedrooms, occupancy 14 people, there are 8 different suites to choose from also....Go to Dells.com and it will tell about these different attractions and also give prices, if you have time get a Wisconsin Dells coupon book online...you'll save a LOT...I hope I helped you some.. : )

Iowa
Level Contributor
835 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: So confused and need a little help:

You have helped me SO MUCH. I am going to check a couple of things and then come back to you with my itinerary.

I do have one concern. A lot of people seem to feel that there isn't enough for teenagers to do at the GWL. I have to decide between avoiding crowds and the adventure rides that my boys enjoy.

Be right back!

Gina

Iowa
Level Contributor
835 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: So confused and need a little help:

I am back:

We are going to stay at the Great Wolf Lodge. I was concerned that the rides were too tame for my adventure seeking family but I feel that the trade off of being at a waterpark without lines is worth it. We are going to go to the big waterparks in the mornings.

SATURDAY

We will get there just after noon on Saturday. Because Saturdays are busy I think we will check in and hang out at the GWL.

Our plan B for Saturday is to go on a jet boat to kick off the vacation and then go back to the lodge and ride the slides until 10.

SUNDAY

Our Sunday morning we will go either to Noah's Ark or Mount Olympus. We will stay there until the crowds get to us and the lines are too long. We will never go back to Disney for this reason if that gives you any idea of our low crowd and line tolerance.

That afternoon we will go to Wizard Quest if Sundays aren't too crowded. Late afternoon and evening we will go to our resort and grab some dinner and/or go to a movie. We will go one the slides too!!!

MONDAY

Monday morning we will go to the park that we didn't go to on Sunday--probably Mount Olympus. I hope that we can spend most of the day there because it is a Monday and not a weekend. If it gets crowded we will go to our resort. If we haven't gone Jet Boating or to Wizard Quest will will do it on Monday. I NEED TO KNOW if the weekend is too busy to go on the jetboats or wizard quest.

Tuesday:

I am not sure . . . we leave that day so maybe we will just chill at the wave pool and then pack and go.

Something that looks fun is the family comedy and hypnosis show.

Any suggestions are VERY welcome.

Thank you for all of you help.

Gina

Iowa
Level Contributor
835 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: So confused and need a little help:

We might also find time for:

extreme go carts (are they faster than olympic mountain??)

extreme rock climbing

hiking

golfing