We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Summer vacation near Wausau

Chicago
Level Contributor
510 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Summer vacation near Wausau

Our son is going to camp in Rhinelander, and we (my huband, 8-yr old daughter and me) are considering spending 4-5 days near Wausau. Any ideas what we could do in or around the area btw. Rhinelander and Wausau?

4 replies to this topic
WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
6,140 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Summer vacation near Wausau

One option: http://www.camp5museum.org/Pages/museum.html 50 minutes away in Laona.

Rhinelander:

www.rhinelanderchamber.com/logmuseum.html

If you're willing to go farther (?) maybe Green Bay (2.5hrs.) and there's lots to do there including Bay Beach http://baybeach.org/

If you want to go just a hair farther you can enjoy Door County but I'm thinking you may want to stay within an hr. of the camp?

Wausau, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
58 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Summer vacation near Wausau

Are you camping? Wausau has 9 mile park which is great for hiking and mountain biking. If doing the hotel thing , lots of options, there is one with a water park inside. Did I mention fishing, boating, and kayaking ? There is shopping too. Enjoy.

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
13 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Summer vacation near Wausau

Dells of the Eau Claire about a half hour east of town.

Camp 5 will be quite a bit longer than 50 minutes away I think.

Sometimes Rib Mt. has concerts on top of the mountain, check the state park web site. Nonetheless climb the tower on top of Rib Mountain, great views.

Yawkey museum of art is a good visit for kids.

WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
6,140 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Summer vacation near Wausau

actually I looked it up online on mapquest about Camp Five and last year went there so I was through from Rhinelander to Laona.....that's where I charted that distance from, those two points.

Wausau itself was listed as "Best Outdoor Activities Town" (this months issue of Wisconsin Trails magazine. In addition to Rib Mtn. you can hike Ice Age Trail and kayak Wisconsin River.

Reply to: Summer vacation near Wausau
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted