We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Here We Come

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Dusseldorf
Level Contributor
3,219 posts
632 reviews
Save Topic
Here We Come

Sure is an active forum! My brother's wife is from Switzerland and is driving us to New Glarus for the weekend from Chicago. We are two active couples. I see the brewery is worth doing. Anything else ? We were planing on dinner at Glarner Stube. Worth going or would you recommend something else?

Staying at the Chalet Landhaus....she picked it!

ZB

12 replies to this topic
WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
6,145 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Here We Come

Which weekend? Did you do this already? The brewery is worthwhile. We enjoyed the Chalet Landhaus and the restaurant as well. The walking trail behind the motel is worthwhile. Walking around downtown is a nice treat. It's a nice enjoyable small town whose culture is evident in the architecture, dining and more. Nearby Cave of the Mounds is a nice stop (they do have winter hours) http://www.caveofthemounds.com/

and also Little Norway (which appears closed) www.littlenorway.com is a worthwhile stop.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Dusseldorf
Level Contributor
3,219 posts
632 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Here We Come

Thanks everyone. We did it. Agree about New Glarus being a neat place to go. Hatchpal...agree withy all you said!

ZB

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,305 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Here We Come

I'd never really thought about stopping there. I had a chance recently but got busy with something else. Any chance you can do a TR for us?

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Dusseldorf
Level Contributor
3,219 posts
632 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Here We Come

I will try. I am off to Europe tomorrow and buried. Will try upon return.

ZB

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,305 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Here We Come

Thanks. I totally understand. I'm still trying to finish my TR's from my Michigan trip 7 weeks ago, and that's without a trip to Europe. I certainly understand, enjoy the trip.

WI
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,145 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Here We Come

it's such a lovely area Frozen_Tundra. The Blue Mounds area is neat. We enjoyed Cave of the Mounds very much and wish we could have stopped at Little Norway too (we drove in but didn't have time to do more). It's nearby to Cave of the Mounds. Nearby Mount Horeb is neat with the trolls all through town and dining at The Grumpy Troll. The Mustard Museum was nifty but that has since moved to Middleton. Then it was on to New Glarus which I touched on above. There's a neat toy train barn in nearby Argyle for the kid or adult train enthusiast that's pretty fascinating you can even ride the mini train outside. We enjoyed the layouts in the barn that were rigged to different things like toaster and microwave parts. Monroe is great for cheese and all it's offerings so for three close proximity small towns there was a lot to offer to enjoy. Monroe has a brewery as well. We enjoyed the cheesemaking centre (in an old train depot) and the Swiss Colony Outlet store was also a treat. There's a restaurant/cheese place there I've heard great things about: https://baumgartnercheese.com/

www.swisstown.com

www.littlenorway.com

www.caveofthemounds.com

www.chaletlandhaus.com

www.trollway.com

Edited: 7:14 pm, November 17, 2011
Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,305 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Here We Come

I was recently in Mount Horeb and ate at the Grumpy Troll (plus reviewed it). It's a nice little town but we didn't spend too much time there. We'll definitely have to check it out. I'm a big fan of Swiss Colony, those catalogs are so tempting. I forgot that their outlet store was nearby.

WI
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,145 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Here We Come

I'd admired their catalogs for years...there used to be one of their stores in a mall near us in the 80's so I've wanted to re-visit ever since. They were well worth a stop. The petit fours were a favorite of mine. I'll have to check out your review for Grumpy Troll (I'm not sure if I wrote one, I'll have to check)

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
954 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Here We Come

If you go to their outlet mall in Monroe you can get bags of petit fours for about $2. They were the imperfect ones - but they still tasted the same! Good prices on other foods too, like the Dobash tortes.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,305 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Here We Come

Dang! I just check the map to see where it is, it's farther south than I realized. I've been ordering from Swiss Colony for years, usually just the petit fours and Dobosh tortes. It's awfully tempting.They also make the best Butter Toffee I've ever had.

Reply to: Here We Come
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about New Glarus
Recent Conversations