We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Polaris at the Hyatt & Grand Ave Mall info needed

naperville il
Level Contributor
16 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Polaris at the Hyatt & Grand Ave Mall info needed

It's been several years since I've been to Milwaukee but we're looking forward to the upcoming Bucks / Heat game. Does anyone have a review of the Polaris at the Hyatt? The view and novelty of "revolving" seems like it would be a nice treat, but not if the food is bad. Also, I know north downtown had gotten run down and a little shady in the past years, but hear its cleaned up and sparkly now ... true? Does Grand Ave have any anchor stores left? Are stores trendy or old? We're staying at they Hyatt for the location to Bradley Center and the Mall ... satisfying all members of the family - so any comments on the Hyatt would be appreciated too.

Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Polaris
Polaris
2 Reviews
Milwaukee, WI
Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
11,364 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Polaris at the Hyatt & Grand Ave Mall info needed

The Hyatt is not getting any younger, but I believe it is reasonably maintained. I have not been to Polaris in seveal years. It was never known for great food. You pay for the view. I think you could get a better meal elsewhere, but you really can't beat the view. Perhaps if you have time you could have lunch at the Polaris and a better dinner experience somewhere else.

Boston Store is still in the Grand Avenue, but it is a scaled down store, only two floors. The upper floors have been converted to condos and the basement is now parking.

A year or two ago a Marshall's (discount clothing) and a Linen's & Things were opened in the Grand Av. There are still some other national chain stores and a food court. There is also an Applebe's restaurant.

Mentioned in this post
Polaris
Polaris
2 Reviews
Milwaukee, WI
Milwaukee
Level Contributor
73 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Polaris at the Hyatt & Grand Ave Mall info needed

I think it's a TJ Maxx, not a Marshalls, but I could be wrong. There really aren't any trendy stores left at the Grand Ave mall - even the Gap has closed. The Polaris is good and it is fun - at least its something different from your standard restaurant. There are quite a few new restaurants open in downtown Milwaukee that are very good. I can suggest some if you are interested. I was at the last Bucks/Heat game - it was a lot of fun, so no matter where you go it will be a good time.

Mentioned in this post
Polaris
Polaris
2 Reviews
Milwaukee, WI
Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
11,364 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Polaris at the Hyatt & Grand Ave Mall info needed

You're right TJ Max, not Marshall's.

milwaukee
Level Contributor
181 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Polaris at the Hyatt & Grand Ave Mall info needed

The Polaris offers a great view of the city. maybe go for a drink and appetizer. Milwaukee is going through many great and exciting changes in the past three years. Many new condos, resturants and stores.

The new place to stay is the Intercontential Hotel or Hotel Metro. However, the Hyatt is fine. It is in a nice area.

For lunch or dinner try these local restaurants:

Italian - Osteria Del Mondo, Mo's Cuncina Italiana, Brio Trattoria, Cafe Zarletti, Baccus

Pizza- Pizza Man on North Avenue, Oakland Trattoria, Palmero Villa

Irish/American County Clare on Astor, Milwaukee Ale House in Third Ward,

French- Coquette Cafe in Third Ward, Elliot's off of North Ave.

Chinese- Emperor of China on Brady Street, Ching Hwa Waukesha

Seafood- Moceans, or Coast. Coast is on Wisconsin Avenue in the Miller Pavillon. It has stunning views of the new Art museum

Steak- Carenevor, Mo's, Coeper's, Eddie Martini's Wauwatosa, Mr. B's Brookfield

Drink- Wicked Hop in Third Ward, John Hawk's Pub or anything on Water Street

Milwaukee is blessed with many woneful unique dining experiences.

Shopping- Visit theThird Ward for botiques, and the new public market. They also have many galleries and museums. Check out Brady Street, Old World Third Street, Downer, Oakland etc. The Grand Avenue is just ok. It has lost a lot of stores and replaced them with basic chains.

For malls, go to either Mayfair Mall in Wauwatosa or Bayshore Center in Glendale. IMayfair is about 10 minutes west of downtown They have great stores. PF Chang's, Magginos Little Italy, Cheesecake Factory, etc. Bayshore is 10 minutes north of Milwaukee. Bayshore just opened and is not completed yet. It has California Pizza Kitchen, Bar Louie, Cheesecake factory, Cameron's steakhouse, a seafood restuarnt and nice stores. The inside part of the mall is being renovated later this year. They also have Trader Joe's. Another good mall is Brookfield Square.

Chains are best found in Brookfield, Wauwatosa, South 76th.

Take time and visit the Lakefront. It is great to walk around. Visit the Milwaukee Art Musueum, Villa Terrace Gardens, and Discovery World. Also, a great coffee house called Alterra further down.

Take a beautiful drive down Lake Drive to view the many mansions in Shorewood and Whitefish Bay.

Take a tour of the Sprecher brewery. It offers soda's and beer's. Or Lakefront Brewery.

Visit Milwaukee County Zoo.

Mentioned in this post
Polaris
Polaris
2 Reviews
Milwaukee, WI
Hotel Metro
Hotel Metro
459 Reviews
Milwaukee, WI
Brio Trattoria
Brio Trattoria
Milwaukee, WI
Pizza man
Pizza man
133 Reviews
Milwaukee, WI
Milwaukee Ale House
Milwaukee Ale House
422 Reviews
Milwaukee, WI
Coquette Cafe
Coquette Cafe
216 Reviews
Milwaukee, WI
Brady Street
Brady Street
144 Reviews
Milwaukee, WI
Wicked Hop
Wicked Hop
325 Reviews
Milwaukee, WI
John Hawk's Pub
John Hawk's Pub
96 Reviews
Milwaukee, WI
Wauwatosa
Wauwatosa
Wisconsin
Glendale
Glendale
Wisconsin
California Pizza Kitchen
California Pizza Kitchen
50 Reviews
Milwaukee, WI
Brookfield
Brookfield
Wisconsin
Discovery World
Discovery World
461 Reviews
Milwaukee, WI
Shorewood
Shorewood
Wisconsin
naperville il
Level Contributor
16 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Polaris at the Hyatt & Grand Ave Mall info needed

Very helpful! Thank you all.

Nice to hear John Hawks is still around .... its been quite awhile....I'm an old UWM alum.

Upper Michigan
Level Contributor
132 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Polaris at the Hyatt & Grand Ave Mall info needed

Also, there is an indoor walkway from the Hyatt (where we always stay, thanks to priceline!) to the Grand Avenue mall. Not really much there, but a nice walk and the kids enjoy it. You start near the elevator, towards the parking garage. It goes through the Federal Building, so you do get screened by security. No problem, though, they are very pleasant.

Right across the street from the Hyatt (the east exit, I believe) is a George Webb restaurant. Perfect for breakfast, since the Hyatt food is overpriced and not very good for breakfast. At each floor of the Hyatt, there is a coffee station. So, no coffee in the rooms but you just walk to the elevator and get your coffee. The beans are freshly ground by the machine as you stand there. I had the kids fighting to get me coffee in the morning. There is a coffee place in the lobby that sells Starbucks, the breakfast place I mentioned, and a neat bar called "knuckles" or something like that. I'll have a drink there after the game. There is an ATM in the lobby.

You are also walking distance to the Safe House. (I don't care for it, but the kids loved going for dinner.) It's a "hidden" place and you say the password to get in. If you don't know the password, you do a task to gain entrance. It's fun if you've never been there. Also not far is the Water Street Brewery. It's a brewpub with decent food. Sandwiches, wraps, ribs, etc. If you like microbrewed beer, you'll love it. There is a skating rink very near the Hyatt. If anyone is into skating, that's inexpensive.

You are also just south of the Old World Third Street. That's still fun to walk up and there are a variety of restaurants and bars there. The neighborhood is fine- you can walk to/from the Bradley Center and any where else you want to go.

Mentioned in this post
Water Street Brewery
Water Street Brewery
290 Reviews
Milwaukee, WI
naperville il
Level Contributor
16 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Polaris at the Hyatt & Grand Ave Mall info needed

Great help and ideas yooper. I forgot about Safe House. That would be fun for lunch although probably not tasty. I think I'll take my daughter through to the mall as soon as we get to town ... she wont be bugging us then the whole time and she can see for herself that the stores are less than what she wants. What .. .no Pacsun, no Hollister? Then we can do the Old Third walk or skating instead, as you suggest.

8. Re: Polaris at the Hyatt & Grand Ave Mall info needed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:16 pm, August 24, 2009