We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Friday Night Fish Fry updated reviews

Which Milwaukee hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Augusta, Georgia
Level Contributor
6 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Friday Night Fish Fry updated reviews

We will be visiting Milwaukee in the fall, and I've found some past reviews of recommendations on the best places for Friday fish fry locations.

WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
6,133 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Friday Night Fish Fry updated reviews

jsonline.com/entertainment/dining/fish-fry-h…

onmilwaukee.com/dining/articles/milwaukeefis…

Mequon, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
34 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Friday Night Fish Fry updated reviews

the list is long and can be argued by most Milwaukeeans who have a fav. So help us out by narrowing it down a bit. Will you have children with you? A particular part of town you want to stay near? Small and cozy? or fancied up a bit?

Augusta, Georgia
Level Contributor
6 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Friday Night Fish Fry updated reviews

My husband, son & I will be visiting Milwaukee....all adults. My husband has never been to Wisconsin, but my son & I lived there years ago. We haven't been back since the mid 70's! We're not looking for a fancy place at all....we want my husband to experience what we remember from the places we used to enjoy. We'll be staying near the south side of Milwaukee, but will be going to Wauwatosa, Menonomonee Falls, maybe Germantown and probably downtown during our stay.

WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
6,133 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Friday Night Fish Fry updated reviews

I shared the list for exactly that reason it's such a highly opinionated subject. If you say this is a great fish fry it's always open for much debate, so sometimes a good comprehensive, descriptive list helps me to narrow it down to what personally appeals so I figured the same for others ;-).

Erv's Mug we enjoy, but we haven't been for their fish fry yet, but it did say "best overall fish fry" (jsonline list). Serb Hall changed and is not what it was a few years ago. I wouldn't recommend it any longer. Kegel's rates high (never been personally). I hear many talk about enjoying Lakefront Brewery's fish fry. They're known for incredibly entertaining and fun beer tours.

from the Jsonline article/list: "Nardo's Passport Inn, W204-N11498 Goldendale Road, Germantown. (262) 628-8884 passportinn.com

"Best baked fish, a generous portion, best rye bread (fresh raisin rye) and best potato pancakes. . . . In addition, their staff is always friendly and prompt."

This one is in Germantown I see you listed it as a stop on your visit.

The Milwaukee Ale House is on the first list and though I haven't been for their fish fry the location on the river is great, and you can choose to dine outdoors which is a nice option....all depending when in Fall you're coming it might be too late to enjoy the outdoors but it's still a nice location to consider, and a nice area to explore too.

Edited: 11:27 am, May 06, 2014
Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,361 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Friday Night Fish Fry updated reviews

There are many traditional fish fry places around, but Erv's Mug would be a good choice for what you remember as would Kegels. Kegels has the advantage of the old German Milwaukee influence.

Edited: 11:48 am, May 06, 2014
Chicago Suburbs
Level Contributor
3,806 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Friday Night Fish Fry updated reviews

"...we want my husband to experience what we remember from the places we used to enjoy."

Please let us know the names of those places. Some might still be in business, or people will suggest similar places.

Augusta, Georgia
Level Contributor
6 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Friday Night Fish Fry updated reviews

Can't begin to remember the names....There were two we went to all the time, one in Germantown and one in Mequon. I'll ask my son tonight if he remembers any of the names.

Mequon, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
34 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Friday Night Fish Fry updated reviews

You COULD be thinking of the Range LIne Inn in Mequon. It is on Mequon Road in an pretty old building. That is one of the few places I can think of that would have been open in the 70's that is still in business. One of the classics was Boder's but it closed several years ago. Range LIne is an old school dinner club sort of place but not a sleepy out of of touch place. Their food (including fish fry) is outstanding. If you will be traveling around the city between south side and Germantown it is easy to get to. You would just take I43 north out of downtown and get off on the Mequon Road exit. It is a mile or so west off of the exit. From there it would be easy to keep going west on Mequon Road to get to Germantown. Range Line does take reservations on Friday's which many places do not. If you plan to go there highly recommend trying to get reservation. Otherwise go early to most other places or call - many places will put you on their list - not exactly a reservation but can shorten the waiting time.

Augusta, Georgia
Level Contributor
6 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Friday Night Fish Fry updated reviews

Thanks!! Besides great fish I'm remembering great sides....back then it was a buffet for the sides.

Mequon, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
34 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Friday Night Fish Fry updated reviews

Oh so do you think is the place you rememberd? Perfect!!!

Now Boders (which is closed) did have a wonderful Sunday buffet so maybe their first fry did also. It was a little further north, just off of Friestad near the river