We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Milwaukee in the summer with kids...

Winona, Minnesota
Level Contributor
56 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Milwaukee in the summer with kids...

Planning ahead here, but next summer we plan to spend 3 days in Milwaukee with our kids who will be ages 10, 7 and 3. We will be hitting Little Americkka (sp?) park in Marshall on the way there, but that shouldn't interfere with our 3 days spent in and around Milwaukee. I have the Zoo, the children's museum and the Milwaukee Public Museum on our "must do" list. How about Discovery World? Bradford Beach? We tend to enjoy kid friendly museums (the art museum, eh... we'll probably check out the outside, but not bother going in), neat parks/playgrounds, animal/nature things, beaches/water, etc.

How about especially kid friendly restaurants? Thanks much!

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
1,028 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Milwaukee in the summer with kids...

The children's museum will be great for the 3 year old but not so much for the 7 and 10 year olds. It caters to toddlers and young kids up to about age 5 & 6. I highly recommend Discovery World for all three kids.

Also go inside the Art Museum, you can get inside and look around. The architecture is nice to see. You don't have to pay unless you are going further into see the art.

Bradford Beach is one of our nicer beaches. The water in Lake Michigan tends to be pretty cold, especially in the early Summer. There are a number of city pools. One the kids would enjoy is Cool Waters in Greenfield Park.

Maybe a Brewer Game, or a tour of Miller Park. They do tours on non game days, I think.

WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
6,167 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Milwaukee in the summer with kids...

Discovery World would be a great addition to the list, another is the Milwaukee County Zoo which is an excellent zoo. The Domes would be another to check out fascinating for all ages. More towards Marshall in Eagle is Old World Wisconsin I highly recommend this experience (living history museum) to families. Their acreage there is substantial and they do the living history experience well!! Jelly Belly and a warehouse tour (not factory tour) is south of Milwaukee. If in early August the Wisconsin State Fair truly is a worthwhile event to take in. Other festivals go on throughout the summer too.

South Dakota
Level Contributor
4,552 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Milwaukee in the summer with kids...

Sending you a message

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
196 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Milwaukee in the summer with kids...

I agree with everything already stated. If you come during one of the festivals on the Summerfest grounds, those can be fun for the kids as well (so would the Wisconsin State Fair), but you'd pretty much need to allot an entire day to either of those. I think the State Fair is just fabulous, and it's relatively inexpensive compared to Summerfest. If the kids are into baseball, definitely take a tour of Miller Park or go to a game. You can also eat at Friday's Front Row located in Miller Park every day of the year, which can be fun because it overlooks the field (but call ahead if you're going during a game - I think there is special seating/prices.)

Not to make your decision more difficult, but I found this great list online that you might want to look through: onmilwaukee.com/family/articles/100kids.html

I assume you will have a car? There are some great restaurants downtown and near the lakefront (which is where Bradford Beach and the museums are), but the better kid-friendly ones are in the suburbs (and there are MANY - a few of which I'll mention.) As previously mentioned, I would recommend Friday's Front Row; also Organ Piper pizza, Fuddruckers, Ferch's Malt Shoppe, The Chancery (my personal favorite since I was a child), or Red Robin (which you might have in your state). I must also recommend Kopp's or Leon's for custard (although you can eat a meal at Kopp's too - it just isn't the most convenient seating). You should be able to Google any of these places (or hopefully they have reviews on here - I know Kopp's is #1 in Milwaukee). Feel free to private message me with specific questions!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
40 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Milwaukee in the summer with kids...

I spent last weekend in Milwaukee with lots of family, including kids. You may want to see my reviews posted on 8/11/13 re: restaurants. Based on what you described, I would put Safe House near the top of your list.

Jackson, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
574 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Milwaukee in the summer with kids...

Doctors Parkhas a nice family friendly Beach. It is just north of whitefish Bay .Schlitz Audubon center is near there too for hiking and wildlife programs.if you. Are in town on a weekend the Northpoint lighthouse is open to tour and climb on Saturday and Sunday afternoons 1-4.The Miller Brewery tour is also something people of all ages can do- you. Go into the old caves and kids are served soda and pretzels at the end while the adults can sample the beer.

There are bike rentalsor fly a kite or rent a paddle boat at Veterans Park along the Lakefront.

Lancaster, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Milwaukee in the summer with kids...

Some good restaurants are the Cheesecake Factory, Bayshore area and Applebee's which is also in the Bayshore area.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Milwaukee in the summer with kids...

You have some good suggestions already on activities - and I agree on the comments about the Children's museum. It's really nice, but definitely geared towards littler kids. The zoo will be great, and Miller Park is very kid-friendly, if you do a tour or a game.

Skip the Bayshore area - it's just a mall with chain restaurants. As far as other dining options, we take our kids to pretty much every place we go (just not high-end restaurants). Milwaukee is a kid-friendly restaurant destination. The Public Market will be fun because there is a lot to look at and it's loud in case one has a meltdown, plus a lot of options for each person's tastes.

WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
6,167 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Milwaukee in the summer with kids...

the Milwaukee County Zoo is one of the best in the nation and if you come in August (early) you'll catch the Wisconsin State Fair which is a ton of fun, even if you're from MN :-)

If you go to Organ Piper which is wonderful for the whole family to experience then go to Kopp's right up the road after at 76th and Layton www.kopps.com It's a great location to sit outside with unique architecture.

Edited: 1:10 pm, September 05, 2013
10. Re: Milwaukee in the summer with kids...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, September 07, 2014