We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting 11/23 & 24 -- need food/bar/to do recommendation

Which Milwaukee hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
chicago
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
Visiting 11/23 & 24 -- need food/bar/to do recommendation

My husband & I are visting 11/23 & 24 & would love to get some dive bar & dining recommedations. Also, is Brady Street recommended for browsing? Any others? We enjoy eclectic/bohemian areas, junk/thrift/antique stores. We will definitely will hit the HD musuem. One mistake we made, unfortunately: thought I'd chance it & Picked a 4-star downtown hotel on Expedia (pre-pay). Got stuck w/the Ambassador.. was hoping to do some walking from the hotel instead of driving.. oh well.. live & learn!

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,128 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting 11/23 & 24 -- need food/bar/to do recommendation

If you're open to driving, you may want to venture a trip up to Cedarburg (about 20-30 minutes N of Milwaukee). Very eclectic little community with artists, antiques, small craft winery. and dining I'd say it would be a 1/2 day trip if you are interested in such things.

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,024 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting 11/23 & 24 -- need food/bar/to do recommendation

I think the Ambassador will shuttle you downtown and back if you'd rather not drive. Brady Street is a short drive from the Ambassador and you can find free street parking on the side streets around Brady. You might also check out the 3rd Ward south of downtown for shops and restaurants.

Since you will be here on a Friday night I suggest the fish fry at Lakefront Brewery complete with German oompah band in a beer hall setting. If you would like to combine a dive bar/ fish fry for Friday dining try Klinger's East in the Riverwest area a few miles north of downtown.

Other dive bar options in Bay View are places like At Random or the Palomino.

This is a good website to look at for restaurants, bars and things going on in Milwaukee http://expressmilwaukee.com/

Also, there is a great dive diner called Michael's about 1/2 block east of the Ambassador, it's especially good for a reasonably priced breakfast that will fill you up for a day of touring.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,128 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting 11/23 & 24 -- need food/bar/to do recommendation

I forgot to mention the Pabst Mansion, which is located about two blocks from your hotel, right on Wisconsin Ave. I was just there on Wednesday this week, and was in awe of the stately home, much of which is as it was back when Pabst & his family lived in it (1892-1904), with original furnishings. Additionally, it was 100% handcrafted from the woodwork, to the painted ceilings and wall coverings and furniture. Simply exquisite.

Saint Germain...
Level Contributor
2,513 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting 11/23 & 24 -- need food/bar/to do recommendation

We love the old town feel of Third street. Here you will find some interesting shopping, a meat shoppe, chocolates, a fantastic spice house, the old German restaurant, an art gallery and you are just steps from the theaters and museum, across the river. Great place for roaming, meandering and photographing. (the road is still bricked!)

Enjoy

Jackson, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
538 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting 11/23 & 24 -- need food/bar/to do recommendation

The 3rd ward would be a good area for walking restaurants, the Milwaukee Public market and browsing shops

'

Jackson, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
538 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting 11/23 & 24 -- need food/bar/to do recommendation

The 3rd ward would be a good area for walking restaurants, the Milwaukee Public market and browsing shops

'

Milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
108 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting 11/23 & 24 -- need food/bar/to do recommendation

I think E Brady St will please you. Its only about 8 blocks long, but has a good assortment of dive bars and thrift-type shops. There are also quite a few restaurants/coffee shops of varying quality, and most are non-chain (not counting Starbucks/Subway/etc.). Don't forget to peek just off Brady as well, as there are a few stores and restaurants just down the side streets. Google street view will give you a good idea of what Brady St is about, though quite a few of the restaurants and storefronts have changed since it was captured by Google.

Cedarburg is a nice recommendation. A short 25 minute drive north from downtown. Tomaso's is a nice dive for a pizza. And Cedarburg is home to Silver Creek Brewing Co, which has one of the most unique entrances to their tasting room/bar that you will encounter. Good beer as well.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
621 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visiting 11/23 & 24 -- need food/bar/to do recommendation

On Brady Street be sure to hit Dragonfly on the West end for some vintage items, as well as another one closer to the East end called Vieux et Nouveau. Brady St also has plenty of dive bars, including Roman Coin, The Nomad, and the Up and Under for great live music. You will also find plenty of hipster and nicer restaurants on this street too. For dining I like Cempazuchi (Mexican), Balzac (small plates and wine), and the famous Zaffiros pizza. As long as you aren't drinking and driving, you also might want to find Wolskis and get your bumper sticker.

For antique and thrift stores.....clothing wise check out

http://rethreadsclothing.com/

I have yet to go into this place but have heard awesome things about it

http://www.clintonstreetantiques.com

Just one block west of there on 2nd Street is a huge building full of antiques and consignment items. There are a few other great antique stores in old buildings off of National around 9th or so, but I don't know the name.

The Ambassador Hotel bar actually has very good food too.

For other "unique bars" that have history, but aren't necessarily dive bars, look up The Newsroom Pub, Bryant's, Kochanski's Concertina Beer Hall, Shakers, Von Trier to name a few, and of course my all time favorite, Best Place at the former Pabst Brewery.

Enjoy your time here!

9. Re: Visiting 11/23 & 24 -- need food/bar/to do recommendation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, November 10, 2013