We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"Go-to" hotel suggestions for frequent Milwaukee visitors?

Chicago
Level Contributor
1 post
11 reviews
Save Topic
"Go-to" hotel suggestions for frequent Milwaukee visitors?

We're a couple of Chicagons who love spending time exploring Milwaukee and environs. We drive up once a month or so, and know our way around pretty well by now. We're looking for suggestions for a go-to hotel or motel so we can start turning our day trips into overnight weekend trips.

We do need parking. We don't need downtown. We do want affordable (budget, even!) But we don't want a dive. Just somewhere basic and nice to call an occasional weekend home base somewhere maybe a little off the beaten path in Milwaukee city or county. Would anyone have suggestions of hotels we should consider?

Thanks much!

Edited: 5:19 pm, September 10, 2012
Waupaca, WI
Destination Expert
for Gay Travel
Level Contributor
625 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: "Go-to" hotel suggestions for frequent Milwaukee visitors?

It's not off the beaten trail but I have found the Hyatt Place hotel at the MKE airport a really quaint hotel with a lot of amenities for a small place. Breakfast is hot and fresh. They have a small bar at night and patrons chat with each other--sort of a travelers comaraderie. they serve sandwiches and snacks at night. rooms are generous with fridge and coffee makers. There is a pool.

I travel a lot but have found this small hotel to have excellent amenities and its location can't be beat for the airport or downtown. don't know if this is what you were looking for. It's also not very expensive.

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,864 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: "Go-to" hotel suggestions for frequent Milwaukee visitors?

The Sheridan House in Cudahy would be great, but I don't know about rates. Forty Winks, www.fortywinksinn.com is an old mom and pop motel, but I think it's pretty decent and nicely situated near the zoo at Hwy 100 and Bluemound Rd. Hatch, who posts here often recommends the Golden Key Motel on Hwy 100 in Greenfield. www.goldenkeymotel.com

I would suggest caution in staying at a budget motel in the area around the airport. Some of them are pretty dumpy. The mid level and up airport area hotels, like Holiday Inn would be fine. You might look into bidding on Priceline for a room if you go 3 star or higher in the airport area.

There are a lot of old mom and pop motels on 27th street south of the airport, but I'm not sure of the quality on those.

Hope this helps.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
524 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: "Go-to" hotel suggestions for frequent Milwaukee visitors?

I always stay at the Crowne Plaza West. Has lots of free parking, and is near the Mayfair Mall and Zoo. Actually, I think it has a Wauwatosa address. Very nice area.

WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
6,165 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: "Go-to" hotel suggestions for frequent Milwaukee visitors?

thanks Przyk for mentioning the Golden Key. It's off the beaten path in nearby Greenfield, but on Hwy. 100 so still lots to see/do right in the area and easy access to the freeway to get to downtown/Milwaukee.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
1,212 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: "Go-to" hotel suggestions for frequent Milwaukee visitors?

My parents are regulars at the Courtyard (Marriott) on Bluemound in Brookfield. It's undergone recent renovations, and is a clean, good hotel. It has a pool, too, if you're looking for that. Usually they can find a good rate, as well.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,336 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: "Go-to" hotel suggestions for frequent Milwaukee visitors?

Mikedoyle, good topic! We've been satisfied with the Mainstay Inn and Suites in Oak Creek. It's only a few miles west of the Airport, so it's convenient (but there is that construction on I-94). It's reasonable. I'm not sure how it compares to the others. I think it would be more fun to stay at one of those Mom and Pop places. If you don't need a larger room, pool or restaurant it's nice to support that type of place.

7. Re: "Go-to" hotel suggestions for frequent Milwaukee visitors?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, September 14, 2013