We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two days to drive from Milwaukee to Mackinac Island

Level Contributor
55 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Two days to drive from Milwaukee to Mackinac Island

In two weeks I am driving north from Milwaukee to Mackinac Island and I am looking for any interesting stops along the way - tours? hikes? historic sites, cycling? Thanks!

Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
7,045 posts
281 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Two days to drive from Milwaukee to Mackinac Island

first, consider this for at least one of the ways:

http://www.ssbadger.com/home.aspx

in the yoop, i recommend visiting piers gorge, big spring, and if you have time, pictured rocks.....

http://www.exploringthenorth.com/

Brookfield...
Level Contributor
1,266 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Two days to drive from Milwaukee to Mackinac Island

I agree, I would look at either the Lake Express from Milwaukee to Muskegon or SS Badger from Manitowoc to Ludington and then drive up along the west coast of Michigan. There are so many beautiful towns with a ton of activities. Holland with its Dutch windmills, Charlevoix, Traverse City, etc. A lot of great bike trails, incredible beaches and really great restaurants. And coming back, you can drive along the south shore of the UP to Green Bay and back to Milwaukee.

Level Contributor
55 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Two days to drive from Milwaukee to Mackinac Island

Thanks for the suggestions!

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,276 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Two days to drive from Milwaukee to Mackinac Island

Personally not a ferry fan. You'll find posters divided on the issue. It doesn't save a tremendous amount of time after figuring in schedules, boarding and unboarding and it isn't cheap. We took the drive last year and really enjoyed it. We spent the night in Escanaba, but could have gone much farther. On the way there we took the northern route to see Pictured Rocks and Lake Superior, on the way back we took the southern route along Lake Michigan.

As much as I love WI, I suggest getting to the UP and spending your touring time up there. If you go to the Michigan forum you'll get plenty of advice. If you want to drive and stop in WI, there's Sheboygan and the Kohler area, Green Bay and Lambeau.

Both in the WI and MI forums you'll find others who have asked similar questions if you go back for a few weeks (or even months) and get some good suggestions. StrangeTripp has good ideas for the drive.

5. Re: Two days to drive from Milwaukee to Mackinac Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, July 13, 2013