We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Unique and/or romantic dining

Which Milwaukee hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
39 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Unique and/or romantic dining

My one year wedding anniversary is on June 4th and I'd like to do some unique with my wife. We are in Chicago often so I thought Milwaukee would be a fun change. Are there any unique fine dining experiences in town?

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,297 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Unique and/or romantic dining

There are lots of options depending on your budget and taste. You can look at the restaurant link on the left side of this screen to read reviews and look at websites.

Some that I recommend are the Lake Park Bistro or Bartolotta Ristorante, Smythe in the Iron Horse Hotel gets good reviews, and a little more low key option might be The Pasta Tree.

Perhaps the best fine dining experience in Milwaukee is Sanford, but it's pricey.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
9,657 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Unique and/or romantic dining

I recommend Sanford's wholeheartedly--it's our go-to place for a special occasion meal.

Level Contributor
39 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Unique and/or romantic dining

Okay thanks. On here it says $31-$40 is the price range at Sanfords. Is that accurate?

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
9,657 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Unique and/or romantic dining

Per their menu, entrees are $33-$36.

There is a four course "Exploration" menu for $49.

www.sanfordrestaurant.com

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
1,148 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Unique and/or romantic dining

If you're looking for something a little different, I recommend La Merenda on E National Ave, just south of the Third Ward. They consider themselves "international tapas," and have an intriguing menu. It isn't a typical candlelight date restaurant, but I found it romantic when I went with my husband there recently. You could spend an arm and a leg if you wanted, but I'd say to eat and drink "comfortably," you'd spend about $100 for the two of you.

Brookfield...
Level Contributor
1,266 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Unique and/or romantic dining

Harbor House has incredible food and the best location of any restaurant in the area, being right on Lake Michigan. Awesome views of the lake, the Calatrava and the downtown skyline.

Another gem and possibly the best food in the city is Crazy Water just south of downtown in Walkers Point. Small and eclectic, but awesome.

As mentioned above, staying at Iron Horse for the night and having dinner at Smyth is also a great choice.

South Milwaukee...
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Unique and/or romantic dining

If you're looking for unique try the Safe House! http://www.safe-house.com/

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
9,657 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Unique and/or romantic dining

The Safe House certainly isn't romanatic, and the food is just so-so.

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,297 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Unique and/or romantic dining

The Safe House is unique, but I agree with Andee. If you go there, go for a drink after dinner. Don't go there to eat. Not that the food is bad, it's just not my idea of a romantic anniversary dinner.

Level Contributor
39 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Unique and/or romantic dining

So it looks like we probably will be coming up to Milwaukee for the anniversary. There is a convention in Chicago so we could do two nights at a hotel in Milwaukee for cheaper than any place I can find in chicago right now. So we'll probably be doing two dinners, one nicer than the other. We are moving out away from the midwest at the end of summer and it'll be nice to get another milwaukee visit in too.