We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hidden Gems

Which Milwaukee hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Milwaukee...
2 posts
Save Topic
Hidden Gems

I am looking for what locals say are Milwaukee's Hiddend Gems

The things to see and do that you would recomend to friends and family who are coming to visit

The things a guy would take a tourist to see to impress her

The places that arent necisairly in the tour guides or on tour site

Places 100% unique to the Milwaukee Area

things like Pizolies ( think I spelt that wrong but im from DC area and think a drive threw ilaian place is very interesting and would tell everyone back home about it)

or Honey Dip Doughnuts (cant find a place like that in DC)

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,265 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hidden Gems

Well it's not a hidden gem, but I always recommend the Harley museum as Milwaukee's unique attraction. You find art, history and science museums everywhere, but there is only one Harley museum. If you walk to the courtyard in back of the museum it's a really quiet space along the river.

Driving along Lake Drive north of downtown and looking at the mansions is great, but sometimes overlooked is the south shore lakefront. The houses may not be as impressive, but they are nice and there are some quiet spots to walk along the lake. Brunch or lunch at Sheridan's near Edgerton and south Lake Drive would be a good destination for a south shore exploration.

You can also access Lake Michigan from a stairway on north Lake Drive right at the Milwaukee/ Shorewood line and it's a very secluded area.

I often recommend visitors stroll thru the lobby of the Pfister hotel and go inside the Federal Courthouse across the street.

Biking parts of the Milwaukee County Oak Leaf trail that are off the beaten path.

You can drive along Harbor Drive just west of the Summerfest grounds as far south as you can go then go east past the lighthouse. You can actually drive around the Marcus Amphitheater and park and walk along the island east of the Summerfest grounds. You can also access the island form near Discovery World, but the back door is more impressive. And, if you happen to be there when a freighter is coming or going you can almost reach out and touch it. Of course, you can't access that area during Summerfest events, but on a quiet day it's great.

You can also walk out onto the breakwater by McKinley marina, just across from the Alterra on the lakefront. I think that gives the best views of downtown Milwaukee.

You can also find many cool places within an hour's drive of downtown Milwaukee, but that could be a whole new post.

Other than that it's the local bars and restaurants. The original Balistreri's on 68th and Wells or Lisa's on Oakland are a couple that come to mind.

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,265 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hidden Gems

I just remembered this Hidden Gems article from a recent Shepherd Express.

expressmilwaukee.com/flex-220-2012cityguide.…

Brookfield...
Level Contributor
1,266 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hidden Gems

Real Chili and George Webb's downtown are definitely "real Milwaukee" in every way. The Milwaukee Art Museum is one of a kind in the entire world. And if you're here in the summer, there's NOTHING more unique to Mlwaukee than Summerfest and the other festivals.

Milwaukee...
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hidden Gems

I currently live in Milwaukee just havent really been out much cause my husband was working 7 days a week.

But I am trying to write a book that takes place here that's why I want to know where the locals would take some one I want to show a different side of the city

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
626 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hidden Gems

I find this a very subjective question, highly dependent on the likes/dislikes of each individual, however, in no particular order:

Barnacle Buds

Lakefront Brewery

Blu atop the Pfister

Hubbard Park Lodge

Urban Ecology Center

Kozs Mini Bowl

At Random

Best Place at Pabst Brewey

Kochanskis Concertina Beer Hall

The Basilica

South Shore Marina and Oak Leaf bike trail

Spice House

Usingers

Summerfest

Locust Street Beer Run

Angelos Piano Lounge

Edited: 12:23 am, May 01, 2012
Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
6,595 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hidden Gems

just throwing this out there:

http://www.lake-express.com/

it'll cost some $$, but if you don't take a vehicle and do a quick round trip, perhaps catch lunch on the MI side, it could be pretty cool...and won't totally break the bank.... it will be a whole day affair and i wouldn't recommend it if Lake Michigan is angry, especially if you're sensitive with sea sickness....

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
626 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hidden Gems

Lake Express is unique, but we'd like you to stick around here. Try the Brew City Queen cruise line or the Pedal Pub!

8. Re: Hidden Gems

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:42 am, June 22, 2013