We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yes, that road is torn up too!

Brookfield...
Level Contributor
1,299 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Yes, that road is torn up too!

With baseball and festival season just around the corner, I wanted to give everyone a heads up on the MULTIPLE road construction projects going on in Milwaukee right now and lasting until at least the end of summer.

The Mitchell Airport spur westbound is closed. If you are arriving by air, you will need to take Howell Ave up to Layton to 27th to jump on the freeway to go west or downtown.

I-94 East. Resurfacing work has it down to 1.75 lanes from the 84th street to 27th, but the backups start much farther to the west, even during mid-day and on weekends. The worst part is in front of Miller Park. For folks in St Louis planning to attend Opening Day in Milwaukee, it's best if you just stay home and avoid the whole mess. Seriously, just stay home. Not that I really care, because I'll be in Jamaica that week.

Bluemound and Mayfair Roads and Capitol Drive. Three of the busiest local roads in the entire state with a lot of shopping and other venues. Both are under major construction and accessible side streets are somewhat limited.

For more info, here are a couple of links for the DOT and projects: www.plan94.org and www.511wi.gov

Edited: 3:52 pm, March 06, 2012
Mentioned in this post
Miller Park
Miller Park
2,522 Reviews
Milwaukee, WI
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
11,364 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yes, that road is torn up too!

True enough it will be a mess getting to Miller Park from the west on I-94, but visitors staying downtown won't be impacted by the eastbound construction. And, anyone staying to the west can take Greenfield Ave or Bluemound Rd east of Hwy 100.

I don't see why anyone should avoid coming to Milwaukee, especially anyone who is on trip advisor and can get up to the minute info and guidance on alternate routes.

I did not find major delays on eastbound I-94 on my late morning trips since the construction has started.

Mentioned in this post
Miller Park
Miller Park
2,522 Reviews
Milwaukee, WI
Brookfield...
Level Contributor
1,299 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yes, that road is torn up too!

Do you really want Cardinal fans invading Miller Park?

Mentioned in this post
Miller Park
Miller Park
2,522 Reviews
Milwaukee, WI
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
1,270 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yes, that road is torn up too!

I think we should still welcome anyone who has the interest to come up and see our city (even if they do root for the wrong team... :)).

Aside from that, just a little more info regarding the construction by Miller Park: The eastbound exit off of 94 onto Mitchell Blvd/Miller Park WILL be open during Brewers games (and conversely the eastbound entrance ramp onto 94 from MB)... thank God. So, if you're coming from the west and want to get off to park in the preferred parking area, you should be good. You also should be able to get onto 94 going east after the game from MB.

At least that's what they say... (I live right there so I've been keeping my eyes peeled).

The westbound exit and entrance ramps are still open, and it is my understanding that they will remain open.

Mentioned in this post
Miller Park
Miller Park
2,522 Reviews
Milwaukee, WI
Brookfield...
Level Contributor
1,299 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Yes, that road is torn up too!

The biggest issue will be allowing ample time to get to whatever event you're going to, especially Brewer games. Because of the construction, travel that would normally take 3 to 5 minutes from 84th to Miller Park can now take 20 or more.

Mentioned in this post
Miller Park
Miller Park
2,522 Reviews
Milwaukee, WI
Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
11,364 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Yes, that road is torn up too!

Yes, I think we should welcome all visiting fans. Since the Brewers have set a record for early sales I don't think Miller Park will be filled with visiting fans.

Milwaukee is one of the best places to be during the summer. It is quite understandable that people from all over want to come and experience Milwaukee during the festival and baseball season.

Good idea about arriving early at Miller Park. That way you can have an extra beer and chill about constuction traffic. It happens everywhere, not just Milwaukee.

Mentioned in this post
Miller Park
Miller Park
2,522 Reviews
Milwaukee, WI
Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,242 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Yes, that road is torn up too!

Hi. Thanks for the information. I'm driving in from Madison in May to an undetermined park & fly hotel. Looking at a map it looks like if I select a hotel on Howell, north of the spur (like the Best Western), I won't have to worry about the spur business at all. Is that right?

There's a 7:10 home game on the day I'm driving in (should be around 4:00 on May 22). Will I be ok getting past Miller Park on 94 at that time or should I consider a "scenic" route?

Mentioned in this post
Miller Park
Miller Park
2,522 Reviews
Milwaukee, WI
Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
11,364 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Yes, that road is torn up too!

You should not take 94 past Miller Park. You should take the 894 bypass south at the Zoo Interchange, which is west of Miller Park and the construction zone. If you hit the zoo interchange around 4pm it may be a little backed up, but hopefully not too bad. The 894 south exit will be marked Chicago.

You can take the airport spur to Howell Av. It's open inbound. It's only closed leaving the airport, not going toward the airport. There is a Howell Ave exit on the airport spur and you would turn left on Howell if you are going to a hotel north of the spur.

If you are used to the old traffic pattern on 894 you should watch the signs closely. As you approach the merge with 94 airport traffic now needs to be in the left two lanes. There is a sharp curve as you are merging with 94 and the temporary airport exit is immediately past the curve, so be careful not to miss it.

For up to the minute traffic reports listen to 620 AM radio WTMJ. They have traffic reports every ten minutes during rush hour.

Mentioned in this post
Miller Park
Miller Park
2,522 Reviews
Milwaukee, WI
Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,242 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Yes, that road is torn up too!

I'm glad I asked. Thank you so much for the detailed instructions. I've never driven to the airport and am not used to the route so I'll be watching the signs closely anyway. I think I'll leave work an hour early so traffic will be a little lighter. Thanks again.

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
11,364 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Yes, that road is torn up too!

Well, generally the early you are coming thru the easier traffic will be, but 4:00 usually isn't too bad.

Do I understand that you are going to spend the night and fly out in the morning? If so we can help with restaurant recommendations, etc. and if you need detailed instructions to your hotel, glad to help with that too.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,242 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Yes, that road is torn up too!

Anything I can use to leave work an hour early...

Yes, I'll be flying out in the morning. Since I'm leaving for six nights in NYC I'll probably cheap it out and do fast food that evening. Wish I was staying downtown so I could have my favorite pizza in the whole wide world at Calderone's!

Would I be better off when leaving to have my car waiting north or south of the spur?