We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Southwest

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,626 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Southwest

Is it just me whenever I look or do Southwest's rates out of MKE always suck?

I'm on their e mail list and I get a message almost every week about a big sale. This week's national message says rates from $69, but when you click on MKE it's rates from $ 114,and the only place you can fly for that rate is Baltimore. Those are one way rates.

Edited: 5:32 pm, February 14, 2012
Genesee Depot...
Level Contributor
394 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Southwest

The rates have been above average the last few months IMO. I get the same emails and check flight costs several times per month to FL, AZ.

I think our cheap flights as compared to the US market are gone for now. Now with fuel prices rising and calling for 4.95 per gallon in Chicago by Memorial Day, time to buy new running shoes and lose some weight.

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,626 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Southwest

I understand flight costs are going up in general, but I'm comparing Southwest to other airlines. I just don't see Southwest competitive with other airlines in MKE on price.

Genesee Depot...
Level Contributor
394 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Southwest

I'll agree with that. Bummer.

Madison
Destination Expert
for Madison
Level Contributor
942 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Southwest

And now Frontier is laying off a bunch of people in Milwaukee, too. Guess the good times at Billy Mitchell may be over for a while.

Brookfield...
Level Contributor
1,266 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Southwest

przyk - I've been trying to book flights for both business and personal out of Milwaukee and they are the worst I have seen in 10 years or more. We're going to Jamaica in April and it was over $800 LESS flying out of O'Hare than MKE for the four of us. Yep, for $800, I'm driving to Chicago!

So far, the best that I have found from a price and scheduling standpoint are with AirTran, which is ironic given that Southwest now owns them. It's going to be very interesting when they complete their total assimilation of AirTran later this summer.

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,626 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Southwest

I've been using Airtran the past few trips to Tampa. Recently I flew to Jacksonville and used US Air for the first time. I've got a trip booked to Austin on Delta. All of those trips were based on the cheapest fare I could find and believe me I look hard for the cheapest fare.

Things are definitely changing.

It reminds me of the time after Frontier took over ownership of Midwest. Frontier has the cute little animals painted on the tail of their planes. In honor of the Midwest takeover they were painting a Badger on one of their planes. They had a naming contest and I suggested they name the Badger Midwest Express.

Brookfield...
Level Contributor
1,266 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Southwest

Not sure if everyone saw today's news but Southwest announced an across the board fare increase of $5 each way. And if fuel prices soar in the couple of months as predicted, then prices are probably headed a lot higher this summer.

8. Re: Southwest

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:09 pm, June 07, 2013