We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying at the Metro...dinner suggestions?

Which Milwaukee hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
L.A. 'burbs, CA
Level Contributor
1,590 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Staying at the Metro...dinner suggestions?

Hi all -

Just switched our hotel from the Iron Horse to The Metro for our early summer vacation. The Metro had a 2 bed suite + perks for less than the Iron Horse loft and we thought the location would be better with an 8 yo. I was VERY impressed by Kevin at the front desk @ Hotel Metro. He could not have been nicer or more helpful.

Please tell me I did the right thing. *LOL* J/K

Anyway, we are covered for breakfast but are there any places in the immediate neighborhood you would suggest for dinner by the hotel? We will be there 6 nights in June. We are a family of 3 - Mom, Dad and an 8 yo girl. Would like to keep it around $40- 50 or less a meal, but are more than willing to go above that if there places you highly recommend that are family friendly.

Thanks so much for your help!

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
9,484 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying at the Metro...dinner suggestions?

Is that $40-$50 for the three of you including tax and tip? Or $40-$50 per person? Or something in between?

L.A. 'burbs, CA
Level Contributor
1,590 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying at the Metro...dinner suggestions?

Haha! Sorry, I was not clear. It's $40-50 inclusive, for all 3. That's a ballpark number and it's flexible, just wanted to give a target. :) Thank you.

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,255 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying at the Metro...dinner suggestions?

You won't find a lot of restaurants in downtown Milwaukee that especially cater to children, but that is not to say an 8 year old would be unwelcome.

A couple I can think of close to the Hotel Metro are Cubanitas and Lousie's that would probably fit your budget and are pretty casual.

Hotel Metro is in a very nice location. Many people love the Iron Horse, but you will have many more opportunities to walk to restaurants and things from the Metro. The Watts tea shop is just a block away from the Metro. http://www.georgewatts.com/ Many 8 year old ladies would enjoy afternoon tea at Watts. It is worth walking thru just to look at the decorative gift items.

The lobby of the Hotel Pfister, just east of the Metro is also worth a walk thru.

L.A. 'burbs, CA
Level Contributor
1,590 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying at the Metro...dinner suggestions?

Thank you. I am glad you back up my decision regarding the location (exhale).

The Watts Tea Shop sounds like somewhere I just may have to escape to, albeit by myself sadly. I LOVE an afternoon tea, but my tomboy daughter will probably want to just go to Starbucks with daddy. At the very least I will have to go in and check it out. Thank you!

Is Louise's the Italian chain? That's OK if it is because I always hear people talk about it and have never been. It's also a place my daughter could get her favorite - noodles with butter. I plan on having a carb-fest on vacation so this should fit right in :)

My kid is very good in restaurants as we eat out a couple of times a week, so she knows how to behave. I just didn't want any place where you sit through 5 courses or it's fine dining as that's too much for any 8 year old to withstand and it's her vacation, too.

Thanks again for the suggestions. I will make note of them. :)

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
9,484 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying at the Metro...dinner suggestions?

Given that your budget is about $11-$13 per entree (assuming you have no beverages), you certainly don't want fine dining--you want cheap!

China Gourmet on Wells St

The Safehouse on Front St

Water Street Brewery on Water

Rudy's (Mexican) on Edison

Rock Bottom on Plankinton

The King & I on Third

L.A. 'burbs, CA
Level Contributor
1,590 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Staying at the Metro...dinner suggestions?

Thank you for all the suggestions. I will def look into them all. :)

Like I said, it's just a target to give an idea of an approximation of around what we'd like to spend instead of just saying "give me some good restaurants". One of us is only 8 (kids menu!) and I am sure won't be drinking ;-), so that does leave a lot more wiggle room for the two of us adults who will probably enjoy a beer 'cause we're in Milwaukee!

Again, thanks a lot.

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,255 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Staying at the Metro...dinner suggestions?

Louise's Trattoria is a chain. I did not know that until I looked it up after your post. I don't recall seeing one anywhere on my travels.

Anyway, the location of Louise's is great, right across from Cathedral Square park and they have some tables on the sidewalk for outside dining. In fact a lot of downtown restaurants have outside dining, which always seems to give a more casual feel.

L.A. 'burbs, CA
Level Contributor
1,590 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Staying at the Metro...dinner suggestions?

Sitting outside sounds great. Will we have pleasant enough weather in mid June? Thanks!

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,255 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Staying at the Metro...dinner suggestions?

Our weathermen can't even get the weather right for tomorrow let alone next June.

June is usually pretty nice here, one of my favorite months. When it's hot here in the summer it's humid and uncomfortable. Odds are we won't have that kind of heat in June, but you never know. On the other hand it could be quite cool. Lake Michigan water stays cold, so if the wind blows off the lake at all downtown, even in June it gets downright chilly.

Layers are the key in Milwaukee pretty much year round.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
626 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Staying at the Metro...dinner suggestions?

Elsa's on the Park for burgers. It's the fancy version of Kopp's. Rock Bottom Brewery, esp. as it's summer and you can sit by the river and eat outside. Walk down to the Public Market and you can have seafood, sushi, soup, Mexican, or Mediterranean food. Milwaukee Ale House in the Third

Ward, also on the river. Tuttos is a good spot on Old World Third Street as well.

Also if you happen to be around on a Friday - watch for Food Truck Friday's in Cathedral Square. Nice way to have a picnic lunch.

Another idea for dinners is that on Wednesday night River Rhythms free concert series happens in Pere Marquette, and they will have food vendors. Likewise on Thursday night, again at Cathedral Square, for Jazz in the Park.

Not sure how you feel about this, but you might want to keep your eye on Happy Hours too, especially at Molly Cools. Many places have half priced appetizers, or $5.00 food specials, until 6:00 p.m.

I just remembered another new place, Catch 22, a slider restaurant. The younger kids might get a kick out of it. I haven't tried it yet.