We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best neighborhood map?

Which Milwaukee hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
L.A. 'burbs, CA
Level Contributor
1,591 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Best neighborhood map?

Hi all -

Just booked tickets to your fine city for this June. We are looking very forward to our trip! I have been researching here, as always, on TA and starting my list of things to do and see. To help me I was hoping you could recommend a good "neighborhood" type map (like Streetwise) so I can get a handle on where things are. An online map would suffice, as well, but I am really looking for one that shows landmarks, major hotels, etc - not like a standard highway type map.

Thanks, in advance! I will have more questions in the months ahead I am sure!

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,361 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best neighborhood map?

I'm not sure that Streetwise has issued a Milwaukee edition. I've never seen one. Its getting harder and harder to find printed maps.

I use the trip advisor maps often because hotels and restaurants are shown. But, my favorite is google maps because not only are points of interested highlighted, but the "street view" option on google maps lets you see a picture of what the street actually looks like.

L.A. 'burbs, CA
Level Contributor
1,591 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best neighborhood map?

Thanks for your response. I looked at Streetwise, too, but, no, they didn't have Milwaukee. Google and Tripadvisor don't have the full layout of the city in a glance that I am looking for, it's broken up or it's too small to see what's actually there.

*LOL* I have a HORRENDOUS sense of direction so studying where things are really helps me before I go anywhere. I can get a feel for the lay of the land and it makes it easier to get around. I'll have to keep looking.

Thanks, again. :)

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,361 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best neighborhood map?

I very much appreciate your style. Too many people simply rely on a GPS.

You should see me when I try to print maps off the internet, a real close up of some point and a few broader views and the next thing you know I have ten pages none of which are giving me exactly what I want.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
9,889 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best neighborhood map?

The Map Store, a MIlwaukee favorite, has an online store as well. I don't know if they carry what you want, but it may be worth a look. www.milwaukeemap.com

Milwaukee is laid out on a grid (with some odd exceptions, of course), which makes it pretty easy to get around.

L.A. 'burbs, CA
Level Contributor
1,591 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best neighborhood map?

I am sure at one point I will have to pull out the GPS or I will end up walking into Lake Michigan. :) What I do (and this shows how bad I am with directions) is I make a list of things I want to do/see/etc and group them together by neighborhood. I even color code them (nerd alert!) but it works for me. It also keeps us from having to schlep back and forth across town for things we want to do.

Thanks for the map store link. They have 2 that I am going to purchase. One looks like it is their interpretation of a Streetwise map so that should help a lot.

Thanks again!

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,361 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best neighborhood map?

Milwaukee is relatively easy to get around, so even if you have to double back or make an unplanned detour you should not have too big of a problem.

I try to look at wrong turns as an opportunity to see a part of the city I had not planned on seeing.

Edited: 11:14 am, January 04, 2012
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
1,160 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best neighborhood map?

Try the website www.walkscore.com. I found it immensely helpful a while back when replying to a message from TA about Milwaukee neighborhoods. You can choose certain "amenities" to be shown on the map, and it also shows the actual neighborhood boundaries. It's pretty cool.

If you are starting from the main page, I suggest clicking first on "Cities & Neighborhoods", then choose Wisconsin, then Milwaukee, and it will give you a list of all the neighborhoods. Here's the link directly to it: http://www.walkscore.com/WI/Milwaukee.

L.A. 'burbs, CA
Level Contributor
1,591 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best neighborhood map?

travelingtuba- thank you. I will def check that out. :)

przyk - I agree with wrong turns can be fun and we will just wander a bit, too. But I second guess every turn I make (husband is no better) so we end up just being frustrated! Now I will know if we do turn the wrong way that I can get us back. :)

Thanks agin for all this great info!

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,173 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best neighborhood map?

Ah, not so sure I agree with Milwaukee being really easy to get around. I'd say it's about average. Downtown has a lot of one-way streets which make it challenging, and there are a number of diagonal or odd angel streets (Prospect, Forest Home, National Avenue) which keep things interesting.

I'm a native, but now live nearby. I have a map called "The Place Map of Milwaukee". I bought it a few years ago. It's smaller, laminated but has graphics with hotels, churches etc on one side and a larger view of the county on the other. It's distributed by National Map Marketing in Minneapolis, MN. Sadly, there are fewer and fewer map companies out there. We use GPS but you also need maps.

Don't get me started on the designation for the East/West, North/South interstates. M'cubed, it's based on where they start or end, not the direction they generally run. Messes me up all the time.

L.A. 'burbs, CA
Level Contributor
1,591 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best neighborhood map?

Thank you, Frozen Tundra. I will look into that map you recommend, as well. I get lost going around the block so I need all the help I can get! ;)