We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report - A vacation in my own city. Part 1.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
1,209 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report - A vacation in my own city. Part 1.

I just finished up with a "ladies weekend" celebrating a family member's birthday. There were 12 women, ranging in age from 20 to 87, three generations. Friday night, we all checked in at the Residence Inn downtown and had our own dinner and drinks in the room I was sharing with my sister and mother. This was the 2nd time I personally stayed at the hotel, others in my family have stayed there multiple times. I was impressed by the sheer size of the rooms - huge (I mean huge) windows and very tall ceilings made the rooms seem just gigantic. The hotel itself is centrally-located, so I recommend it to anyone who needs a base for activities downtown or otherwise.

Saturday, we all got up and headed to the Domes, which were okay. It was a little disappointing that only 2 of the 3 domes were open for visiting, so we were in and out of there in an hour. It helped to take up a little time perusing the bead/jewelry sale that was happening out in the lobby, but I would prefer going back when all 3 domes are open. The tropical and desert ones were very neat, though, and not something you see every day.

After the domes, we went to the Milwaukee Public Market for lunch. This was the first time I had been there in the middle of a weekend lunchtime, and it was a little crazy. Lots of people, although that is great to see in our town! I had a falafel and hummus pita (yes, I like chick peas...) from Aladdin, the Middle Eastern place. It was really delicious, although a little too slathered with hummus. Very fresh ingredients, though. I also went down to St. Paul Fish to get some clam strips to go, and the place was a madhouse. I've been there a couple times in the past for their $12.95 lobster dinner, but you can't get that to go, and since I was joining the rest of the group to sit upstairs, I just opted for a quick snack. It wasn't quick... ~15 minutes to wait, but I give them a little slack because the place really was packed. The clam strips are huge, and really delicious.

We all perused the market for a little while after lunch (got some saltwater taffy at the candy place), then shopped a little in the Third Ward. I've said before in my posts that the Third Ward can be a little pricey, but it really was apparent after going in most of the stores that it really is. We had fun perusing, nonetheless, but were impressed by Bangles and Bags, which was pretty much the only reasonably-priced store we went into (aside from Retique, the Goodwill store that I like. FYI, Retique has public bathrooms.). By the time we got back around to Shoo, we were pretty punchy, so the $295 shoes really set us off into goofy giggle land... which was not amusing to the store clerk. Oops. ;)

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,819 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report - A vacation in my own city. Part 1.

Per this morning's paper the Christmas floral show will open in the other dome this coming Saturday. There will be a sneak preview Thursday night with music by the Bon Jovi tribute band Bad Medicine. Editorial note, I love Bon Jovi, but I've seen this tribute band and I was not impressed.

Anyway, it may be worth another visit to the Domes for the Christmas display, just not Thursday night for me.

Loved your trip report.

Edited: 4:28 pm, November 14, 2011
Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,328 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report - A vacation in my own city. Part 1.

I assume you didn't buy the shoes, right?? Fun report. I grew up in Milwaukee and now live a little ways out so have the chance to do what you've done sometimes. I've forgotten to get back to the Public Market, been trying to hit the domes for years and have never really checked out the Third Ward except for eating. You've given me something to look forward to. The comments about the Residence Inn was really helpful too.

Can you give me more details about that lobster dinner? That sounds intriguing.

Racine, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
530 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report - A vacation in my own city. Part 1.

Sounds like fun! I love the falafel pita, too. My daughters and I laughed, too, at the shoes at shoo when we went there to buy Toms which were the cheapest ones there. Thanks for the report.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
626 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report - A vacation in my own city. Part 1.

St. Paul has their lobster dinner every day for $12.95, comes with cole slaw and fries I believe. They are not the hugest lobsters, but at that price, you could order two! They have always been very tasty. Go on a weeknight - less crowded.

We head there for the oysters though - our fave in town!

5. Re: Trip Report - A vacation in my own city. Part 1.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:26 am, November 22, 2012