We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Within walking distance of Fronteir center

Which Milwaukee hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
117 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
Within walking distance of Fronteir center

We are staying at the Hyatt Regency for a conference DH is attending at the Fronteir center in August. I will have Monday through Friday to entertain myself but no car to get around. I've identified a couple of things within easy walking distance of the hotel but was hoping someone(s) could offer suggestions for what to see or do for a first-time visitor. DH will have some time a few of the afternoons and hopefully all day Friday, so I want to plan some things to maximize his free time as well. We like to do "overview" tours of cities and I see there is a boat tour offered, and I do want to go to the Milwaukee Public Museum. But what else?

Thanks!

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
9,481 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Within walking distance of Fronteir center

Milwaukee Art Museum

Harley Davidson Museum

Strolling and shopping in the Third Ward

Not all are within walking distance, but there will always be cabs at the hotel.

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,255 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Within walking distance of Fronteir center

What is your idea of "walking distance"? If you can walk 45 minutes or so you could reach the Third Ward, Brady Street, and the Pabst Mansion among other things.

If easy walking distance for you is just a few blocks then of course you would be more limited unless you want to take a bus. I also looked up the downtown trolley which appears only to be running Wednesday thru Saturday this summer. Here is the web site milwaukeedowntown.com/categories/7-parkingtr…

The trolley stops at 4th and Kilbourn right across the street from the Hyatt.

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
117 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Within walking distance of Fronteir center

Thanks for the replies. Walking distance is 30 minutes or so at a brisk pace.

Thanks for the info about the trolley - I hadn't seen that they have one - I'll take a look. I went on google maps to get a feel for the area.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
9,481 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Within walking distance of Fronteir center

You may have better luck looking things up if you spell the Center Frontier.

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
117 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Within walking distance of Fronteir center

Yeah, I noticed that after I posted it :)

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,255 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Within walking distance of Fronteir center

If you can walk 1/2 hour at a brisk pace pretty much all of downtown and the surrounding area will be within your reach.

You might find the Third Ward worth a stroll. There are some interesting shops and the Milwaukee Public Market http://www.historicthirdward.org/

The Milwaukee Art Museum and Discovery World are less than 1/2 hour walk from the Hyatt and you could continue on along the lakefront thru Veterans Park.

Brady Street is also an interesting street for unique shops and restaurants.

The Wisconsin State Fair runs from Aug 4th thru 13th in suburban West Allis. If you will be in town then I think it would be worth a bus trip.

Brookfield...
Level Contributor
1,266 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Within walking distance of Fronteir center

"If you can walk 45 minutes or so you could reach the Third Ward"

Really pryzk, are you crawling? It only takes me fifteen minutes to get there from the Hyatt. The Third Ward is great, a lot of new shops and restaurants and a safe area to walk around.

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,255 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Within walking distance of Fronteir center

You are right Husker. I was just trying to get an idea of the original poster's walking range. Some people are not able to or don't enjoy walking more than a few blocks.

After the original poster responded that she is comfortable walking at a brisk pace for 1/2 hour I suggested that all of downtown and the surrounding area would be within her reach.

From the Hyatt to the Milwaukee Public Market at the beginning of the Third Ward would only be a 5 or 10 minute walk, but then one would expect a visitor to wander around the area after arriving.

The Art Museum and lakefront are probably a 10 to 15 minute walk from the Hyatt. Brady Street and the Pabst Mansion are probably close to 1/2 hour walks. I walk a lot, but I don't often time myself, so these times are estimates.

I would also say that all these areas are safe to walk around alone, especially in the daytime.

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
117 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Within walking distance of Fronteir center

Thanks again for all the ideas and suggestions! I am looking forward to having some time to explore on my own and to have some things "at the ready" for when DH has free time during his conference days.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
626 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Within walking distance of Fronteir center

There is also the Grohman Museum, Usingers on Old World Third, and the Historical Society literally across the street from the Hyatt. The Milwaukee Central Library and Haggerty Museum of Art, as well as the Pabst Mansion and Joan of Arc Chapel are all unique places to visit on the Marquette Campus. The trolley will get you around to some of these spots as well.

I also love the Villa Terrace Art Museum in the summertime. If you like bicycling, consider renting a bike to get you around. Try Laacke and Joys or Cory the Bike Fixer.

On Wednesday night, there are free concerts in the park at Pere Marquette, again just across from your hotel.

Enjoy your stay.