We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arriving MKE late - any place to grab a bite?

Carlsbad, California
Level Contributor
716 posts
Save Topic
Arriving MKE late - any place to grab a bite?

Hi everyone,

We're flying into Milwaukee later this month on a Sun. night. Our flight arrives at 10:26 p.m. and then we'll head over to Enterprise to pick up our rental car.

Is there any good place we can grab a bite at that hour? We're staying at the Sheraton Brookfield and heading to Oshkosh the following morning. We'll still be on West Coast time and not going to bed right away anyway.

Also, any recommendations for a good place for breakfast the following morning?

Thanks.

Carole

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,864 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arriving MKE late - any place to grab a bite?

I am not a late night diner, so maybe I am overlooking some places, but I am not sure you are going to find a lot open late on a Sunday night.

Your question stumped me, so I started looking even at places like Perkins, which used to be open 24 hrs, but now closees at 10 pm on Sunday night.

All I can come up with are some diner type places like the Forum II at 4711 S 108th Street. It has a wide menu that would include breakfast or sandwiches or full dinners. It is off I-894 which is the route you will take from the airport to Brookfield.

I am also having a problem coming up with breakfast places near the Sheraton Brookfield. There are lots of restaurants in that area, but I am not sure what is open for breakfast. Hopefully others will have some ideas.

Carlsbad, California
Level Contributor
716 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Arriving MKE late - any place to grab a bite?

Thanks przyk... I appreciate your help!

I'll look into the Forum II. How is the location... is it in an OK part of town for nearly midnight on a Sunday night?

Also, if there is a decent grocery store where we might pick up some sandwiches to bring back to the hotel, that would be our second choice option (are grocery stores there even open that late on Sunday?).

Genesee Depot...
Level Contributor
394 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Arriving MKE late - any place to grab a bite?

Yes, Generally a safe area.

Also Denny's are open 24 hrs, average food when there's not much else. There is one right by the airport, safe area and several on your way to Brookfield. You can search their website for locations.

Forum is probably better and more local home cooking.

Carlsbad, California
Level Contributor
716 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Arriving MKE late - any place to grab a bite?

OK... thanks, Downtown42.

What about breakfast the following morning... any good places between Brookfield and Oshkosh?

Carole

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,864 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Arriving MKE late - any place to grab a bite?

I thought of a place for breakfast, the Original Pancake House is on Bluemound Rd less than a mile west of the Sheraton.

And, yes the Forum is in a decent area.

When you leave the airport car rental take the airport spur to I-94 north. There is construction on I-94, so you need to take care entering the freeway there.

Then you need to get into the left lane for the exit to I-894 west/ I-43 south. Once you are on I-894 you will clear the construction area and go 4 or 5 miles, not sure exactly. But, watch where I-43 breaks away from I-894 on the left.

To get to the Forum take I-43 to the first exit which will be Hwy 100 or 108th street, another left exit. When you get to 108th street, again also known as Hwy 100, make a left turn and the Forum will be on your left side at the first traffic light, Layton Ave.

If you are going directly to the Sheraton you will follow I-894 rather than I-43. Just take the I-43 exit if you want to go to the Forum.

I am not sure about grocery stores open that late either. You will find some fast food drive thrus open and gas stations that have food options.

Carlsbad, California
Level Contributor
716 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Arriving MKE late - any place to grab a bite?

Thanks, przyk!

We love the Original Pancake House restaurants they have here in San Diego. That would be a great place for breakfast!

Carole

Carlsbad, California
Level Contributor
716 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Arriving MKE late - any place to grab a bite?

By googling "late night dining Milwaukee" I came up with a few links... but I don't know the locations of these places... particularly if they are on the way from the airport to Brookfield.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60097-s508/Milwaukee…

onmilwaukee.com/dining/…latenight.html

urbanspoon.com/t/…Late-Night-restaurants

wherethelocalseat.com/Milwaukee-Restaurants/…

Edited: 10:37 pm, July 03, 2011
Brookfield...
Level Contributor
1,266 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Arriving MKE late - any place to grab a bite?

I live in Brookfield and the only nearby restaurant open late on a Sunday night that I can think of is Champps Sports Bar and Restaurant. The Sheraton is in the NW corner of the Moorland and I94 intersection and Champps is in the SE corner of it. The bar is open until midnight and the food is very, very good, just not sure if they serve until closing. http://champps-wi.com/

For breakfast, either the Original Pancake House, which is great, or Baker's Square, which is about 500 yards north from the hotel at Moorland and Bluemound.

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,864 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Arriving MKE late - any place to grab a bite?

If you click on the websites of the restaurants listed on those links you will find that most do not serve late on Sunday night. Most of them are in or near downtown anyway, not in the direction of your hotel. I would suggest you call ahead if you decide to look further into any of the few who claim to be open late on Sunday nights as the kitchen may close even if the bar stays open.

I edited the trip advisor travel article to eliminate Pizza Man, which burned down two or three years ago.

Carlsbad, California
Level Contributor
716 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Arriving MKE late - any place to grab a bite?

Thanks HuskerBadger - will call to check hours at Champps if the food is that good.

przyk - was planning on researching the places on those links tomorrow... I guess I won't bother with that now. Thanks for letting me know.