We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cool places to stop between Milwaukee and Madison?

Which Milwaukee hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
6 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Cool places to stop between Milwaukee and Madison?

A friend and i are staying in Milwaukee for the weekend to explore the city. We'll probably head to Madison sometime Sunday. Are there any noteworthy roadside destinations between these cities? Cheese factories, one-of-a-kind restaurants, or anything unique to Wisconsin to make for a good road trip would be good to know about. i can't imagine there is too much to gawk at besides cows and fields. Prove me wrong.

Madison
Destination Expert
for Madison
Level Contributor
934 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Cool places to stop between Milwaukee and Madison?

If you're looking at the Roadside America site, check out the Forevertron between Sauk City and Baraboo. I call it the anti-Dells.

It is very possible to have a lot of fun while avoiding both shopping and the Dells in Southern Wisconsin. If Parfrey's Glen near Devils Lake has recovered from the recent flooding when you are here, it's another place you may want to check out.

While in Milwaukee, try to have a drink in the Yard at the Iron Horse if the weather is nice. There's also a distillery with tastings right across the road. We like to get our absinthe fix there.

WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
6,137 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Cool places to stop between Milwaukee and Madison?

The House on the Rock you'd want to do all three tours and even check out the bathrooms. The ones by the eating area I remember as being most noteworthy (at least the women's was). 3-4 hours to go through for sure. I haven't been to the Talesin but I can imagine $ are involved I haven't checked into that much. In some places at HOTR it shows it's age but it doesn't take away from it's quirky uniqueness.

Devil's Lake is worthwhile and Baraboo...you might check out the International Crane Foundation www.savingcranes.org. If you like history Circus World museum there's tons of the old circus wagons and history in one of the main buildings. The rest may not be of interest to you (or any of it, depending on your interests). That's in Baraboo too.

You could skip the Dells and go for the rest.

Oh and another MIlwaukee notable: fun tour at Lakefront Brewery (they do fish fries too).

Edited: 9:27 am, August 18, 2010
Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,181 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Cool places to stop between Milwaukee and Madison?

Wow, wonderful stuff here people, I've got to save all of this. I've never been to the House on the Rock, but I would say if you come to the area you have to see it. Oh, and of course eat some cheese curds.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
6 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Cool places to stop between Milwaukee and Madison?

Okay, so I’ve compiled a preliminary list of things to do, drink and eat. In no particular order…

Fried cheese curds in general

Weird Al in Concert

Mader’s or Old German Beer Hall or somewhere - German food in general

Possibly a Sprecher tour

Lakefront Brewery – tour

Other Brewery tours although probably not Miller

Fish Fry somewhere on Friday night

Possibly Evel Knieval exhibit at the Harley Davidson Museum

House On the Rock

Forevertron

Tyranena Brewing in Lake Mills & Rock Lake (indian pyramids in the bottom of the lake)

Parfrey's Glen-if its back open /Devil’s Lake

possibly Milwaukee Museum

possibly Oriental theater

Safe House?

Milwaukee Public Market? Is it worthwhile? For cheese, sausages etc…

I probably have more on here than I can manage, but I won’t be bored. I will write a review when I get back.

Thanks for all the suggestions by the way.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,181 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Cool places to stop between Milwaukee and Madison?

You forgot Pat McCurdy. If you see his name performing anywhere at a local festival or bar, he's a must.

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,364 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Cool places to stop between Milwaukee and Madison?

I'm not sure about the food at the German Beer Hall. I think it's more of a bar although I think you can get a bratwurst or something light. If I am wrong about the German Beer Hall menu I hope some will correct me. If you want a casual dinner I suggest Water Street Brewery instead of German Beer Hall. Water Street Brewery has a good German sausage sampler plate and many other items. Maders is more formal, full dinner type dining.

I'm guessing Weird Al will not sell out the Riverside. If you don't want to commit to advance tickets you can probably get tickets at the door. The Riverside is a nice venue and all seats are decent.

Try Turner Hall for fish fry. They serve fish for lunch on Friday too.

Oriental Theater is worth it if they are showing an indie film you would like to see. Otherwise maybe just pop into the lobby to have a look. Then check out Beans and Barley a block west. Beans and Barley is kind of a health food/ vegetarian restaurant and grocery store, yet they have food that's very attractive for a carnivore like me. Beans And Barley is a great place for lunch or breakfast.

Milwaukee Public Market would be great, especially if you plan to take some food on your road trip.

It's really been a long time for me, but Parfrey's Glen, as I recall is peaceful, but not nearly as scenic as the bluffs in the main part of Devils Lake Park. It may also be very buggy with the rain and heat we have had this summer the mosquitoes are bad around here.

Just to add one more thing to your already impossible agenda Fiesta Mexicana is going on at the lakefront the week end of the 28th.

17. Re: Cool places to stop between Milwaukee and Madison?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:26 am, February 16, 2011