We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurants/Things to Do for 4 Seniors staying @ The...

Which Milwaukee hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
chicago
Level Contributor
137 posts
Save Topic
Restaurants/Things to Do for 4 Seniors staying @ The...

In mid-June, we are staying 3 nights (Monday-Thursday) at the Wyndham Hotel at Milwaukee Center (Kilbourn/Water). We have tickets for Brewers games all 3 nights, but would love some suggestions as to what we might do during the day. What are some good, inexpensive restaurants near our hotel where we might have breakfast and lunch? Recommendations as to things to do within close proximity to the Wyndham would be most welcome. Also, I read an old posting that said it is cheaper to park in one of the lots near the hotel, rather than pay the hotel's daily parking rate -- any thoughts on that? Is it true best way to get to the ballpark from the Wyndham is by city bus?

I should probably mention here that we are 4 senior citizens (70s/early 80s).

Thank you all so much for reading this and taking the time to reply. It will be a great help!

milwaukee, wi
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurants/Things to Do for 4 Seniors staying @ The...

The restaurant in the Wyndham is actually pretty good. John Hawks Pub is also connected to the building - your typical pub fare. There are also some nice restaurants in Cathedral Square (just a few blocks east) - Louisa's, Elsa's (the BEST burgers), etc...there are quite a few places to eat within walking distance.

I can't help you on the parking situation. I personally would park in the lot.

As for things to do, the Milwaukee Art Museum isn't too far away, right on the lake. The Grand Avenue Mall is right downtown too. I don't really like the mall, but it's something to do to kill time. There are some fun antique/boutiques in the 3rd Ward.

I would check with the hotel to see if they have a shuttle to Miller Park. I wouldn't take the bus. I'm not actually sure how you'd get to the game from the Wyndham, you may have to transfer bus lines, which could be a pain.

Hope this info helps! If there's anything else you want to know, let me know!

Amy

san diego
Level Contributor
129 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurants/Things to Do for 4 Seniors staying @ The...

The Edelweiss, a tour boat, docks just across the river from your hotel, I believe. (It can't be more than two or three blocks away.) They serve lunch during the cruise. Personally, the Edelweiss was a little too stuffy---and pricey---for my taste. I prefer the Iraquois, a funky old tub that docks further downstream, near Michigan St. They don't serve a meal, but there is a bar onboard. And, because the Iraquois is a bigger boat, there's more room to roam around. Milwaukee's waterfront isn't especially dramatic, however, I found it very pleasant to float around on the lake, sipping a cocktail, on a sunny summer afternoon. In fact, my main complaint with both tours is that they're not long enough.