We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amtrak Station to South Gate of Summerfest

Palatine, Illinois
Level Contributor
464 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Amtrak Station to South Gate of Summerfest

Hi! Hope you can help with this question.

I know there is a shuttle to the North Gate but my daughter and her firends need to meet the person with their tickets to a concert tonight at the South Gate. Any idea how easy it is to get a taxi from the Amtrak station and how much it might cost?

Many thanks!

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
11,364 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Amtrak Station to South Gate of Summerfest

I really don't know the price of taxis in Milwaukee, but for a short ride it can't be too expensive. If two or more are coming it would be just as cheap to take a taxi as a shuttle. Everytime I have been to or driven by the Amtrak station I see taxis waiting when trains are arriving. The question of whether there is enough taxis for everyone is something else.

I would plan on taking a taxi and if none are available take a shuttle to the north gate and walk outside the fest to the south gate. It's not that far unless someone has physical limitations, probably about 3 blocks.

Brookfield...
Level Contributor
218 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Amtrak Station to South Gate of Summerfest

Taxi's are usually readily available at the Amtrak station, but Summerfest is the one time they could be in somewhat short supply. If everyone is fairly fit, in the worst case, you could walk. I would imagine that might take 30-40 minutes.

Mentioned in this post
Summerfest
Summerfest
112 Reviews
Milwaukee, WI
Palatine, Illinois
Level Contributor
464 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Amtrak Station to South Gate of Summerfest

Thank you for the tips. Here's how it worked out.

There were no taxis and no courtesy phone to request one. Several others waiting for a taxi were recruited to share with my daughter and her friend and luckily, the taxi that just happened by was a van big enough to hold them all.

One man was headed to the yacht club, so the taxit driver charged him the meter for that portion. Next was the drop off at the south gate and he reset the meter for that, for a total of $6. The final passenger was headed to the airport. So it all worked out fine, except for the downpour that evening!

Perhaps she'll try again next year and experience the entire site in better weather!

4. Re: Amtrak Station to South Gate of Summerfest

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:19 pm, September 03, 2009