We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pulling Cubs-Brewers doubleheader July 20

West Virginia
Level Contributor
46 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Pulling Cubs-Brewers doubleheader July 20

OK... I'm pulling a rather ambitious Wrigley Field/Miller Park doubleheader on this particular Friday. I have a few questions:

-- Which is the best "alternate" route to Miller Park. (I just became familiar with the Marquette Interchange mess.)

-- I see a lot of good places to go downtown to eat, drink, etc. Anything worthwhile near the airport, where I'm staying?

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,710 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pulling Cubs-Brewers doubleheader July 20

You might get different answers on the best alternate route, but I suggest taking I-894/I43 westbound just south of the airport. Exit at Loomis Rd turning right and make an almost immediate left on to 43rd street. 43rd street turns into Miller Parkway and will take you directly to the stadium parking lot.

You could also continue northbound on I-94/43 closer to downtown and exit anywhere and go west to 43rd street, but most of the streets closer to dowtown move slower. The closer you get to downtown the more you risk running into trafic delays. There may be a lakefront festival that week end that would increase traffic in the downtown area.

There is an old supper club type restaurant called the Packing House on Layton Ave across from the airport that might be a nice choice for a local Milwaukee dining experience. They serve steaks and a nice variety of food in a casual atmosphere.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
626 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pulling Cubs-Brewers doubleheader July 20

I second the Packing House

Also Beer Belly's for a total Wisconsin joint with great fish fries

Amelia's by the airport has decent food

There is also a small drive-in called the Night Owl that has wonderful burgers.

Just down the street is a very cool bar called the Landmark 1850 Inn, one of MIlwaukee's first bars.

West Virginia
Level Contributor
46 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pulling Cubs-Brewers doubleheader July 20

The 1850 Landmark Inn is intriguing... Did they build the airport around it, or something?

West Virginia
Level Contributor
46 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pulling Cubs-Brewers doubleheader July 20

OUTSTANDING tip on using South 43rd Street! I'm sure it helped me make up all the time I lost in that lousy Chicago traffic! I really enjoyed myself in Milwaukee...

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,710 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pulling Cubs-Brewers doubleheader July 20

I'm glad you found your way. I know it can be a little tricky exiting on Loomis Rd and finding that quick right to get onto 43rd street.

This is a great example of why I love TA when I travel. Where else could you get tips like this?

6. Re: Pulling Cubs-Brewers doubleheader July 20

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:16 am, September 06, 2009