We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dad and Sons from Mpls coming to see Baseball!!

Level Contributor
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Dad and Sons from Mpls coming to see Baseball!!

We will be in Milwaukee to see the Twins vs. Brewers in May. We have never been to Milwaukee. My sons are both early 20's (our first adult guys roadtrip)!. Where should we stay? We would like to park our car and then cab it or shuttle for the weekend. We would like to be in a safe area where food and fun are near our hotel. We would like to keep the hotel around $100-$150 a night. Is there any place you think that we MUST experience?

Gillett, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
374 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dad and Sons from Mpls coming to see Baseball!!

The Intercontinental

would put you about 6 miles from Miller Park. it's in a decent area downtown and would keep you close to the night life of Milwaukee's Waterstreet, etc.

chicago, IL
Level Contributor
40 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dad and Sons from Mpls coming to see Baseball!!

As far as a must experience in Milwaukee for first time visitors, I would head to The Safe House which is located downtown on Front Street (which is more like an alley). It will be worth the search and effort to find the Safe House. Once inside you will have a good time. I don't want to give you too much on it or it will detract from some of your experience, but it is a sure fire and unique place. It is a spy themed restaurant/bar with as many gadgets, passages, levels and surprises as any Bond film. Remember while you are there and checking it out, not everything is as it seems. If you are observant enough to the bars surroundings, you may even pick up on some of the bar lingo and passwords (safe words) which can only help you.

Outside of that, if you have time I have enjoyed the Sprecher Brewery tour as well. It is a microbrew but they have some of the best beer and give a nice tour with samples. Of course there is also the Miller Brewery just a few blocks north of the stadium which also gives tours.

Any of the name brand hotels downtown are OK - Hilton, Hyatt, Courtyard, Renaissance, etc. Some of the local hotels downtown are the Pfister (probably more expensive and lush so to speak - although often visiting teams players stay here) or Metro.

Have a good time, although I do hope the Crew wins.

Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dad and Sons from Mpls coming to see Baseball!!

I encourage you to drive to Miller Park. Tailgating in the parking lot before the game is a big part of the Miller Park experience. Go early. Bring a cooler with liquid refreshments and find some food to take along.

Stay downtown for sure. The Intercontinental is a good choice. The Marriott Residence Inn is all suites (I think), so the 3 of you may want to take advantage of the extra space.

If budget becomes an issue there is a Hampton Inn and the Best Western Inn Towne, which would be okay if the price is right.

Downtown Milwaukee is relatively safe, especially for 3 men walking around. You won't be bothered. There are also great places to eat downtown in all price ranges.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
1,039 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dad and Sons from Mpls coming to see Baseball!!

I agree with przyk. Try and go early to the game and tailgate. It adds to the whole experience. If your thinking that you might be having a few brews at the game and do not want to drive Milwaukee 's Transit (bus) has a service that operates on game days from the downtown area. This is what I found on their web site:

Brewers Home Games - Route 90

Rt. 90, which will be provided for ALL HOME games, begins two hours before game time. On opening day, April 2nd, against Los Angeles Dodgers, and specific games with projected heavy attendance, buses will operate every 10 minutes.

During all other home games, buses will operate approximately every 30 minutes.

Rt. 90 begins at the Downtown Transit Center and makes stops along Wisconsin Avenue. From Van Buren to 10th Street, the buses stop roughly every two blocks. After 10th Street, Rt. 90 stops about every four blocks up to N. 38th St. Rt. 90 drops off passengers at the MCTS Transit Area on Yount Drive on the north side of Miller Park. Return trips operate from Yount Dr. along Wisconsin Ave. to the Downtown Transit Center. After the game is completed, buses leave from the MCTS Transit Area at Miller Park up to one-half hour after the game.

$1.75 for adults and 85 cents for seniors (65 and over) and disabled individuals with identification, and children 6 through 11 years.

5. Re: Dad and Sons from Mpls coming to see Baseball!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:20 pm, August 28, 2009
Follow this conversation!
Get notified when a new reply comes in.
Follow now