We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best uncrowded place to rent boat to swim offshore

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
2 posts
Save Topic
best uncrowded place to rent boat to swim offshore

Hi. I just moved to WI. I'm hoping to visit the lake in Aug. We once had a great time renting a boat (3 people) at Lake George in NY & then swimming off the boat out in the lake. I like to swim more than I like sandy beaches & clean water more than snack bars.

Is this allowed in LG? Which part of the lake is best for it? ANy specific rental firm recommendations? ANy specific places to stay in that area? B&B?

Thanks much

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
524 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best uncrowded place to rent boat to swim offshore

Here are two places to rent boats on Geneva Lake:

-Marina Bay on Wrigley Drive in downtown Lake Geneva

-Gordy's (Gordy's also has a bar/restaurant that is very popular with boaters) near the Abbey in Fontana, which is on the west end of Geneva Lake

Note: They call the town Lake Geneva...and the lake Geneva Lake.

Geneva Lake is always crowded with private boaters, as well as the cruise line that gives daily tours of the lake. So, to drop anchor and float around in a clearly marked area is possible. To actually "swim" laps would be more difficult.

Delavan Lake, which is about 10 minutes west on Rt. 50, is a quieter lake and may have more swimming possibilities. You can rent boats at Lake Lawn Resort.

2. Re: best uncrowded place to rent boat to swim offshore

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:20 am, January 16, 2011