We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying into Ironwood Michigan, whats in Hurley thru Superior

Hartselle, Alabama
Level Contributor
41 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Flying into Ironwood Michigan, whats in Hurley thru Superior

Never been to WI, have airfare to Ironwood, want to see the Lake, waterfalls but where do I stay?? If renting a car where should I drive to from Hurley, Superior? have a 10 year old, but we are not interested in amusment parks as much as scenery, no camping either

Madison,WI
Level Contributor
529 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flying into Ironwood Michigan, whats in Hurley thru Superior

OK. When are you travelling? Of the four seasons there are the 1. cold-COLD and 2. warm-HOT., with 2 variable seasons on each end. It's great if you're prepared.

Hartselle, Alabama
Level Contributor
41 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flying into Ironwood Michigan, whats in Hurley thru Superior

we rae traveling May 29 thru June 2 08

Madison,WI
Level Contributor
529 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flying into Ironwood Michigan, whats in Hurley thru Superior

This month's Wisconsin Trails magazine highlights Hurley and says Superior Falls, near Hurley, fall 110 feet.

Hurley Chamber of Commerce. (866) 340-4334.

hurleywi.com

This area is on the state border with Michigan, the Upper Peninsula. You might visit Ironwood, Bessmer and maybe the Porcupine Mts, on Lake Superior. The U.P. is a big recreation area, especially in the winter with lot's of lodging. Powderhorn Mt. Lodging for one.

Superior WI
Level Contributor
17 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flying into Ironwood Michigan, whats in Hurley thru Superior

I live near Superior and can give you some info on the area. Ironwood is about 40 miles east of Ashland WI where there is a fantastic visitor center with lots of info and activities. Ashland is right on Lake Superior and it's a pretty drive through town. From there you could head up to Bayfield (@ 1 hour north of Ashland) which is a pretty little tourist town; there is a ferry there that you can take to Madeline Island (shops, restaurants, beach). The water would be tooooo cold for swimming in Lake Superior but you could take a walk along the shore---it's awe inspiring. From there you can go east to Superior (another hour)where you could check out the shipping port. Superior is an old town with not a whole lot to offer for entertainment for a 10 year old. My suggestion would be to take in a couple of outlying parks. Pattison State park is about 10 miles out of Superior and has the tallest waterfall in the state. Amnicon Falls State park is also about 10-15 miles out of Superior and has beautiful waterfalls, cascading through the rocks---beautiful walking trails. That time of year the Amnicon river should be at it's peak and we've had a lot of snow already so the run off should make for some big falls in the spring. The area is also home to the Brule river (President's River) which you can canoe or kayak (rental place in the town of Brule). Hope this helps.

Superior WI
Level Contributor
17 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flying into Ironwood Michigan, whats in Hurley thru Superior

I missed the part about where to stay---I'd suggest Ashland as kind of a central location with more choices. I've been to Ironwood but can't remember what they have for hotels---Hurley isn't much as I remember, mostly known for it's "Gentlemen's clubs".

6. Re: Flying into Ironwood Michigan, whats in Hurley thru Superior

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 pm, September 17, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Hurley